Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11032 - 02/16/03 04:30 PM soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
soundhound, just looked at your page (s), like wow, dude. i used to be signed up at 'webshots' but let it lapse (i'm pretty much out of the country most of the last 15 years, anyway). really liked your 'real bike',i have one similar but last summer i put a padlock on it before going to afghanistan...and of course, i can't find the key! woulda got a coded lock but i'd forget that too. i've gotta go back and look at ur HT...only glimpsed it, sorry...you gotta lot of stuff to view there.
i'll give out my em to you if u care for it...it'll only be good for 2 more weeks:
tommy.higginbotham@turner.com
is no problemo if anyone else wishes to e me there. no wife, no kids, not a single thing to do...cept listen to brubeck and watch IFC for a while...sell the house, disappear.
hey, i really liked the pic of the first bike. can't remember what it was...realtor just left a few minutes ago. seems i may make enough to look at a few more toys for me retirement...god knows i can't do it with my 401 anymore!

------------------
t higg

#11033 - 02/16/03 04:37 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Thanks! If you're ever on that 'glide (I assume that's what you have) riding out west, em me soundhound@earthlink.net

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#11034 - 02/16/03 04:53 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

nahh, got a 1200xlh for now...had ta have an 100th anniversary model...and i spend so much time on the road...the 1200 fills the bill for now. gotta get me assets together and live on what i have. still got a younger daughter in college. i'm lookin at maybe later gettin a softtail dressed out. used ones in the south...if ya know where ta go and who ta talk to...are so mch cheaper here. not in atlanta..or georgia but in alabamee or missipp. even NC...lotsa bikers w/ no money...sad thing, that. but somebodies gotta save em. i wuz one o the 'lucky' ones (no such thing as 'luck). i just worked me a---se off for 35 yrs. and am reapin wut i sowed. stuck it out here in the poor ol south n took what ever came me way. not rich, by any means, but i can now live on what i have...been doing that anyway.
anyone else with a comment on that?
i really really like this outlaw site! i hope they don't mind when we go astray...it's a rainy day in georgia...must be rainin all over the world.

#11035 - 02/16/03 05:13 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

back to audio. just got off ur HT site! oh, like wow! i feel totally suppressed! funny thing, though...i was noticing the various objects round the room ...open reel 2 inch..little give aways for me. then i read the little pop ups u put in there...love that. 1st...ah ha, a td-125! and then..after the digi mastering eq., there it was...my board...soundcraft 24 track! i do love their boards too. brits only problem is the punch-in buttons...eg: punch in and you remove something...punch out...and you put it in. whut wuz they thinking. i just helped install cnn's new london bureau last year and we went totally digi...boy the problems that caused w/ the editors. mind you, they're very good worker bees, but we've had em working on antiquated stuff since the early 80's. i put together a little seminar to go over it all...a lotta moanin n groanin...but now..they wouldn't go back. being an analoque person meself, i've gotta say...many of em still bypass most of the digi stuff and do packages in analoque. there's stuff that'll never replace the master's voice. i do like the digi user-friendly interfacing...but ya just can't replace the warmth and meat of top notch analogue gear. ok, i'm rambling...perhaps i should go to ur website, now that i have it...but i think this is closer to forum stuff..so i'll stay here. later i wanta go to your music site. if'n yee git uh chance...go to flatwatch.com. a friend o mine...he's in Qatar (not cutter as they say on my news channel..but Ka-tar, as it should be pronounced)put that site up...he has an analoque studio w/ digital mastering n such.
quite a musician...plays everything..writes,mixes,edits..and stamps out the cd's w/ a friend in...ashville.
need more cognac...be rat back

------------------
t higg

#11036 - 02/16/03 05:31 PM Re: soundhound site
charlie Offline
Desperado

This is an outstanding site. The folks here are pretty much self policed (except when they locked SH in Mexican jail) and we can actually disagree and stay civil. What a concept, eh?

I think the fact that everyone is pretty polite really promotes some great exchange of ideas and thoughts. No undue fear of severe verbal bruising.

Try that on most other forums, where it seems like the participants are taking a break from the human race.

#11037 - 02/16/03 05:35 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

gotta agree w charlie. because of me job i don't get to do this much. i have tried several sites in the past...used to get AOL (angels of lucifier) free, cause they own us. what a mess of a good thing gone bad! no wonder our stock fell 3 million points in the last 3 yrs.(well, close...from about $95 to $12 bucks!yikes)
whut's yer system, charlie? (and let's not get into bikes unless...it happens again)

------------------
t higg

#11038 - 02/16/03 06:38 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by thigg:
back to audio......

Yeah, I sit on both sides of the fence. I do my work in digital, but enjoy the analog stuff, especially seeing all those toobs glowing in the dark

This is a good site, off the beaten path, and civil - yeah, except for that run-in with the Mexican Police

So stick around, and enjoy!

#11039 - 02/16/03 07:39 PM Re: soundhound site
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

yeh, those glowin valves are just simply worth it. do ya know why the chinese and russians still use valves? ok, here's why. the first 'strike' encompasses an exploding nuclear warhead some distance up in the sky,how high depends on the strength of the 'device' used. once set off, it disables any silicon based device. ergo, all computerized systems...missile co-ords and the like...are simply erased from the system. if one uses 'valves', nothing is disrupted...all systems function. heck, we knew that in the 50's but choose to go 'modern'. the first russian plane 'we' brought down, a mig-20 or so...had valves in its radar defence and other primary systems...the plane would 'function' in a nuclear weather atmosphere. scared the h--l out of our 'advanced' system planners. well, we certainly soon straightened those guys out, didn't we? today we can still get tesla tubes,chinese 6550's,etc. when they drop the big one...my valve system in the bedroom w/ my non-chip turntable (pro-ject one) will still play tunes...even if i'm a post-toasty. by-the-by, r you still writing from that little room in mexico? just give the tijuana boys a few quid n they might let ya go!

------------------
t higg

#11040 - 02/16/03 08:07 PM Re: soundhound site
charlie Offline
Desperado

I've had some decent 2 channel stuff in the past; Some better Sony, David Hafler, Carver, DynaCo(ST70), etc., nothing too exotic though. I went with the 1050 to get my feet wet in multi-channel, I was too busy for a while to stay up to speed, plus there's nothing like first hand experience. As for speakers, I've used Bose, Infinity, Klipsch, Advent, JBL, maybe a few more, but I always ended up with DIY projects. I just love to build things, maybe why I like writing software so much.

Nice you could ease back a bit, do what you want. And don't worry about the bikes - my Dad loves Harleys too, and I still talk to him without fighting

In the end it's what makes you happy not the highest tech, fastest, leakiest or whatever.

#11041 - 02/16/03 09:07 PM Re: soundhound site
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by thigg:
yeh, those glowin valves are just simply worth it. do ya know why the chinese and russians still use valves?

Yep, isn't it ironic that you can still purchase tubes for a 1950s tube amplifier, yet you can't get some transistors for something built in 1980? Progress... Most of the tubes I buy are from the former eastern bloc countries. I wonder if the U.S. military still uses tubes for their "hardened" equipment? The amp that I use for my high frequency horns is a single ended triode using a 300B Western Electric tube designed in 1933 (!), and has a thunderous five watts output. But with my Altec horns, with their 106db/watt efficiency, they will bleed my ears before they need even a fraction of that 5 watts. I used to work for Altec Lansing as a Test Engineer when they were in Anaheim, and I had a great time there. A piece of history.

Oh, the Mexico thing.....well, seems I was posting copywrighted material here to demonstrate the effects of various bit-depths and dither, and their audibility. So Outlaw chased me, and my mule Josie all the way down to Tijuana and put me in the slammer......virtually, of course! I needed a pitcher of non-virtual margaritas (the official Outlaw Saloon beverage) to recover from that one!!

P.S. Have you ever ridden Route 66 for any distance on your bike? I've made it from L.A. to New Mexico but ran out of time......It's really beautiful from the California border to Kingman, AZ.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 16, 2003).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 102 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts