Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10906 - 01/27/03 04:45 PM Help with decision...
steveko23 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I am in the market for a new receiver or pre/pro + amp combination. I've seen the Outlaw's advirtised and the 950/770 combo seems pretty killer, but I've also been looking at the Denon avr-5803 and the pioneer elite vsx-49tx. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some input on why I should choose one over another. I'm also in the market for speakers (I've finally decided it was time for me to put my home theater together that I've been dreaming about for years). Right now I'm leaning towards the definitive technologies speakers. The bp2002tl's a clr 2500 and some bpx's for side and rear...but I've also thought about the klipsch rf-7, rc-7, rs-7, rsw-15 combo.
Any input/advice on either the speakers or receiver vs 950/770 would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Steve

#10907 - 01/27/03 06:01 PM Re: Help with decision...
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I just purchased the outlaw 1050 after spending alot of time looking at the cheep made receivers like Denon, Pioneer etc...you will be glad you did..this receiver weighs 40 lbs, does that tell you anything?

#10908 - 01/27/03 06:29 PM Re: Help with decision...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 1050 is nice. The 950/770 combo (or the 950/755 if you only have five speakers currenfly -- you can always add a pair of the new Model 200 monoblocks later if you need 'em) if a very good value. Just last week, I did a little clean-up on a chart comparing some pre/pros and receivers, including the 950, the Denon 5803, and the Pioneer 49TX. Cost-wise, the 950 will be hard to beat. Also, you have the option of retaining the amp and replacing the pre/pro in a couple years if something better comes along if you go the separates route.

As for speakers, I'd say the key is to take the time to compare them and feel good about whatever you get. Def Techs are good speakers, although some people can't get used to the bipolar sound (personal preference).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#10909 - 01/27/03 10:38 PM Re: Help with decision...
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I still haven't ordered the 950/770 combo as I'm enjoying my Pioneer Elite 47TX a lot more then I initially thought I would.

And, My friend and I struck a deal. I buy the 47tx, and when he gets the cash he pays me. Well, he doesnt have the $$ yet so Im sitting here with the 47tx powering my Def Techs and honestly, Im loving it more and more.

The receiver is a beast, simply put.

My friend says he will have the money by Feb 6th, so it looks like I'll be placing my order for the 770/950 soon

I will miss the 47TX though, the auto calibration is dead on with my sound meter. Overall, a very high quality peice of work

Ahh but i want the outlaw gear! I cant wait to lift the heavy beast(770) out of the box! And I will be oh so delicate with the 950

My local high end shop sells the 47TX for 2,500.00 I found about 5 credible sites off the web that sold it for around $1,700.00 Great deal if you decide on a receiver.

But for the past few years, Ive wanted seperates...and it always bothered me that I didnt make the plunge. I will sleep better once I get the Outlaw gear

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#10910 - 01/28/03 01:14 PM Re: Help with decision...
Badger Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'll put in a good word for the Definitive speakers. I recently got a 2006TL system, and it sounds great in my small room. I really like the bipolar sound. Now I'm haunting these pages trying to decide what to do about my electronics...

I'd be interested to hear what you decide if you care to post later.

#10911 - 01/28/03 05:26 PM Re: Help with decision...
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Badger, I have Bp30's for mains. They are basically the 3000 and 2000TL's without subs built in.

I have a CLR2000 for center duty, and 4 BPX's for side and rear surrounds. Killer system in my opinion.

Some can't stand bipolar, but like I said, myself and others I know personally..."Once you hear their sweet sound, it's hard to go back"

In the last 3 years, I have 6 friends that have gone out and bought almost a duplicate of my system because they love it so much.

Now because I am getting the Outlaw gear, they are leaning towards seperates as well. Rest assured I'll be pointing them to this place

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#10912 - 01/30/03 08:57 AM Re: Help with decision...
steveko23 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Thanks for all the input. Hopefully I'll be going out and having a listen at all my various options this weekend. I've also added the Energy Veritas line to the list of speakers I'd like to audition.

Steve

#10913 - 02/22/03 08:28 PM Re: Help with decision...
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
this site is one of the best reasons to go outlaw. i only recently got the 950..and am enjoying natalie cole as i write. are the def T's made in canada? am not sure. about any speaker made up there will be a great investment. i like klipsh for sound re-inforcement but not really in the home (i could get shot for this...a good friend's brother designed all the new lines) they are extremely clean i admit...and sensitive too. although i have and prefer maggies on my main system...there are a lot of speakers i wish i could by...however, i'm no Harry Pearson. the paradigm is a heck of a buy...sound like speakers ...forgive this..costing several times the price. also totems are very sexy. the betovens (spell check) by...who is that..SLL said she has some...they are simply incredible...but costs. and oh, the lectronics...i have been shopping for years to replace my homemade analogue surround box...i even used ta sell hi-end equipment...outlaw was a gift from the gods...believe me. a friend who has a 4500 dollar surround pre came over a few days ago to see and hear my 900 dollar outlaw 950... i think he wants his money back ...now!

#10914 - 02/22/03 08:39 PM Re: Help with decision...
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
oops, i didn't finish. i am so long winded...comes with age and i'm pushin 900.
u really need to spend some time listening at ur local shops and friends who have whatever. surround...definitely outlaw.
speakers: the above plus mirage,maggie,b&w,celestion, heck, there are like 400 spkr companies or some such. listen to em all. first listen to some accoustical live stuff somewhere. 'save that info in your head and use it as a reference...take your own familar material to compare...don't let the salesman play something you don't know or haven't heard before. also go listen to a live lectric band...it won't be perfect but it's completely uncompressed and analogue; well, not really...you won't know what they did to the sound...just go listen to what ever you listen to. the joni mitchell concerts are incredibly and meticlus-lee set up, as are mary chapin carpenter and neal young to name a few. make a game of it...and then listen to the boxes...you'll know which one pleases yer ears. after that ya gotta get a sub!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 107 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts