Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10825 - 01/13/03 08:17 PM Dishnetwork vs Direct TV
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I currently have Dishnetwork but I am thinking about switching to Direct TV. (I would like to get 2 new receivers) Any good info on Direct TV??

#10826 - 01/13/03 10:57 PM Re: Dishnetwork vs Direct TV
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I have never had dish I have Directv, but from what I have heard they are more or less the same. Maybe a little less compression with Direct but I don't know. If your into HD, Direct has HDnet, HBOhd, SHO hd and 1 HD ppv. But you need a 3 sat dish (oval 3lnb). Any other specific questions I have had mine for 5 years and am happy with it.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#10827 - 01/17/03 03:14 PM Re: Dishnetwork vs Direct TV
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I used to have DISH and (IMO) UPgraded to DirecTV about a year ago. DISH was fine as long as you didn't want anything fancy (like a digital output from your digital service) or those fluffy little extras (like... customer service!). Somewhere on this site I have a long vent about my frustration and then switch to DirecTV, but I've been very pleased with their service since I made the move.

I got a good deal (for me) by getting the free install and two free receiver units (and paying the difference to upgrade one to a digital out for sound) with a year service contract. Price is equivalent but their customer service is SO much better. Also, the installer actually knew his head from his @$$ and did everything I asked without a lot of hemming and hawwing and trying to charge me more.

I would just say to be certain of the connections on the boxes you are getting. If you can't find it printed somewhere, ask whoever is doing the install or call DirecTV's C.S. dept. I actually had a guy go physically find the box that came free and tell me what the connections were. That's how I knew I needed to upgrade. At the time DirecTV was not offering boxes that fit my needs direct from them so I eventually went with a Circuit City purchase/install plan. That was reassuring because I could hold in my hands what I was getting. It was also nice to just be told outright, "Here is what we have. Sorry it doesn't meet your needs. Here is how to get what you want." So much nicer than being sold vaporwire and getting bent over on the exchange or whatever when it turned out to be wrong.

My only complaint with the service isn't their fault, it's the boxes I opted for. I got the RCA ones (because, frankly, they were the cheapest that gave me what I wanted) knowing that I was getting slower operational response time. By that, I mean that there is a delay of a second or so between button operation and box response. I knew about it going in, and told my wife as well, but we both agreed we didn't really mind the inconvenience. And to be honest, it hasn't really been a big deal to us. The money saved up front is a fine trade off in our minds.

Hmm... guess this was sort of a turned in to a much larger post than I thought it would be. Hope you got something useful out of it.

#10828 - 01/17/03 03:58 PM Re: Dishnetwork vs Direct TV
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
The HD side was detailed above you have more (if HD is a goal) currently available with Direct.
I have just dealt extensively with both Dish and Direct Customer Service. Dish started out extremely helpful. Becoming ugly when they incorrectly installed an upgrade and begin lying at the beginning of sorting the mess out to cover up. I am not overstating they simply lied (twice) assuming I would not know the difference and also threatened to charge for a ‘free dish upgrade’ promo, when I requested them to re-cable the messed up upgrade or provide the 65 dollar converter (gratis) which now is a required Band-Aid to make the HD signal compatible. CS had neglected to type notes into the work order for installation pertinent to the install. .It became very unpleasant as they freely admitted they made a mistake but the bottom line for resolving their mistake was ‘tough luck’. According to them now that its done, - I can either pay to have the install rerouted as originally ordered or pay to buy the Band-Aid converter.
I would not be able to do business with Dish after this incident.
Neither ‘Dish’ or ‘Direct’ are a joy to work with if you have 1) Tech issues 2) an upgrade going on.

While shopping for HD STB’s Dish had very little in selection and was not available in storefronts, as many retailers have recently dropped their line. In my area Radio Shack will supposedly start stocking Dish again and Sears does currently. These two will be the only large retail locations left handling Dish in our metroplex. It took me a week of hunting to even locate a HD Dish STB as a standalone upgrade for an existing account. Even though during 2 calls ‘Dish’ CS gave me approximately 30 locations to try. So I sense a decline in their market share with retailers (in my area). Direct was easily available at all large retail electronics, - BB, UE, CC, etc.

Dish I believe will be coming out with the first HD PVR which is past due and still very vague on details when this unit will ship.

HD STB’s are very dicey products right now, technology is moving faster than QC. When you can get them to perform they are stunning.

Due to my extreme difficulty in even acquiring a Stand a lone purchase of an upgrade Dish decoder and the lack of choices currently in HD STB's with 'Dish'. On this basis alone I would recommend Direct.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited January 17, 2003).]

#10829 - 01/17/03 06:09 PM Re: Dishnetwork vs Direct TV
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I agree with you SLL on the STB issue. The early adopters have been doing the "beta testing for a while now! My Samsung TS-160 has been great for me but if you surf some of the forums you will see all 3 of the current hot boxes (Sony hd-200, Samsung ts-160,165, Zenith hd520) have had issues, some worse then others. I haven't had much trouble. I must commend Samsungs CS for being honest and trying to help and correct problems. A friend has the Sony and it has worked well for him although it is $200 more.
Well there you go thats my take on HD STB, anything I can do to help you fellow Outlaws get HD with the least amount of headache just ask! It is worth it I love HD!!!!!!

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#10830 - 01/29/03 02:36 PM Re: Dishnetwork vs Direct TV
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
Isnt Directv buying Dishnetwork to become one massive company?

#10831 - 01/29/03 02:38 PM Re: Dishnetwork vs Direct TV
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
That fell through.

#10832 - 01/29/03 02:48 PM Re: Dishnetwork vs Direct TV
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Actually, the merger was denied. FCC said no last October. I remembered hearing about it at the time, but had to dig a bit to find confirmation (did turn up two articles though). They apparently tried to get the courts to overrule the FCC, but I think they failed .

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts