Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10852 - 01/21/03 04:04 PM Best DVD Movie and Why
Metal Mike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: PA
Has this been done before on this forum?
Maybe we could shift gears and give ideas on what we really can't live without in DVD's and why. Can be anything in DVD. Tell us why you like it so much. The audio, video, plot, anything... I admit I am not going to be of much help here because I am still waiting to finish my home theater and still waiting for my complete system to be assembled.

#10853 - 01/21/03 05:34 PM Re: Best DVD Movie and Why
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
Blade 2 is my pick. Not only is it a fairly enteraining movie but, it has the best picture of any dvd I own. It amazes me and anyone else I show it to. Plus the sound is outta this world. I guess this one DVD makes my system shine like no other. Extras on the disc are pretty cool too. I dont know exactly why some dics are so much higher quality than others. The whole movie is shot at night(naturally) and the scenes are still highly visable and clear. What a transfer this is. That my 2 cents.

#10854 - 01/21/03 05:37 PM Re: Best DVD Movie and Why
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I dont buy movies, I figure they will be on HBO sometime anyway. The best concert I have on DVD is Lynyrd Skynyrd , the music is great and so is the picture!

#10855 - 01/21/03 06:20 PM Re: Best DVD Movie and Why
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Hmm..Blade II is a VERY LOUD movie. I have to back off the volume a tad. But it indeed does sound great and LOOKS great as well.

Best looking movie I have? With Humans and not animated or CG characters? I'd say it's a close call between Blade 2, Jurassic Park 3, and K-pax

Best looking for CG...Disneys Dinosaur and Shrek are beautiful.

Best sounding overall? I'll choose 5...

Jurassic Park 3
Signs
Saving Private Ryan
The Fifth Element
Blade 2

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#10856 - 01/21/03 07:01 PM Re: Best DVD Movie and Why
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
Where to begin,

As I am a movie fanatic and personally have many, many titles that I concider to be my very favorite DVD's, I will try as hard as I can to narrow down the best of the best. Please keep in mind that this is all basically off the top of my head:

Best All-Around DVD's:

1. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Platnum Extended Edition)

-This is by far the finest DVD set ever to be produced as it covers this films production more thouroughly than any other that I have seen to date, and I have been collecting DVD's since the very beginning. The video could have been just a tad better, but it still outperforms the previous release of this film and as far as sound, this is truely one of the most active and involving soundtracks I have ever witnessed. Not to mention you also get 30 additional minutes of footage added to this spectacular production. Truely number 1!

2. The Matrix (The Matrix/The Matrix Revisited)

- I would suggest getting the 2-disc set as apposed to the single disc special edition because of it's massive in-depth breakdown into every aspect of how they created The Matrix, coupled with the already compelling content available with the original release. This is one of my all time favorite movies with an awe inspiring story, ground-breaking special effects, and still to this day some of the very best video and 5.1 sound that the DVD format has to offer.

3.Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

-I know that many of you will bemoan my inclusion of this film but the DVD that Lucasfilm has produced can be summed up as a vision of what is to come on the DVD front. I was truely gobsmacked by the absolutely stunning picture fidelity and detail present in this disc, and could not deny the this is by far the very BEST picture available in ANY DVD title today! Not only that, but the 5.1 EX sound mix is definately within the top 5 of all time best sound on a DVD as well. If you can get around some of the bad acting and poor scripting, then you will own one of the Crown Jewels of DVD technology!

4.Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Ultimate Edition)

-This title speaks for itself and anyone that wouldn't include this into their collection has problems. Not only is this one of the best Sci-Fi films of the last 20 years, but it is also one of the original Super Special Edition DVD's that was made available. And with an awsome picture, and both Dolby Digital 5.1EX and DTS 6.1ES soundtracks, it is definately one of the BEST home theater demo discs around!

5.Toy Story 1 & 2: The Ultimate Toy Box (3-Disc Collectors Set)

-A couple of the best family films ever produced and 2 of the most impressive CG animated films available, again I shouldn't have to say much more. Perfect picture quality on both films and awsome 5.1 soundtracks (especially the EX mix in Toy Story 2) with added content up the wazoo!

From here I'll try to just list my picks as the best catagorically, NOT including the previous titles:

Best Picture Quality:

1.The Fifth Element (Superbit)
2.Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Superbit)
3.A Bug's Life
4.Spiderman
5.Fight Club

Best Sound Quality:

1.Saving Private Ryan (DTS)
2.Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
3.Super Speedway: Mach II Special Edition
4.Gladiator
5.Star Trek: First Contact

Again, you'll have to excuse me for not being a bit more accurate, as I am sure that there are others I have forgotten and/or misplaced and will try to list some additional titles.

-Jeremy

#10857 - 01/24/03 11:08 PM Re: Best DVD Movie and Why
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I just watched WindTalkers tonight and I must say..it's picture is gorgeous

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts