Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#91728 - 11/17/12 01:22 PM OSB-1 Owner Comments
JonSisk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I purchased this upper-end soundbar and have had it installed in my living room for more than 30-days now. Have to say it has exceeded my expectations. In my case, it serves both as a home theater speaker system to complement a 60" HDTV, and just as important, I use it as my music system being feed by CDs, MP3s, and the many sources available via AppleTV and AirPlay. Probably listen equally to video soundtracks and music.

The OSB-1 certainly satisfies my criteria for simplicity, ease of installation, and relatively low cost. My concern was whether its audio performance would be sufficient and satisfying compared to my full-blown 5.2 HT system. Well, I would classify this as a high-value product. While it costs more than many soundbars, its performance is terrific... good enough that my listening is satisfying and I don't feel like I am missing anything. The H-PAS bass system is amazing - the spec for flat bass response to nearly 40Hz is legit. I have experimented with a powered 8" sub to fill in the bottom octave. If there is content down that low, yeah, I can tell a difference. But to me, this is not about cost-no-object performance, it's about point of diminishing returns. And without the sub, the SB goes sufficiently deep to not leave me feeling like I am missing out.

Physically, the product is larger and heavier than most SBs, but it is still easily manageable. I have my HDTV on a articulating mount, and had to beef up its provision for a SB a bit to accommodate this heavier speaker system, but it was not a deal killer and I like the results very much.

I find that I use the 3-channel and 5-channel modes most often. I like the processing effects on most music. I am constantly amazed at how much spacial imagery can be projected from such a minimal space.

Bottom line, this product reminds me a few others that I have really personally enjoyed over my 40-years in the audio business - products that deliver great value and performance that far exceeds my expectations for the cost.

Jon Sisk, CEO
Audio Authority Corp

Edited by JonSisk (11/17/12 01:25 PM)

#92338 - 01/11/13 12:15 AM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
legivens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Euless, Texas, USA
I bought one and received it today. I had a particular need. In one room I'm trying to keep it as sleek as possible. I have a media room or home theater. This room only has a 60" plasma on the wall, but TV speakers leave 'alot' to be desired. This is a great sound bar for those of you who are in the market for one. I've used it for 2 channel for the Ipod via the 3.5mm cable and TV via optical out from the TV for 5ch. I'll run directly from the directv box as soon as possible. I'm very happy with my purchase and still believe Outlaw offers fantastic products at a great price. For anyone who's curious, I did get the directv remote programmed to control it, but the buttons don't make sense.
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One

#92488 - 01/24/13 10:20 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
legivens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Euless, Texas, USA
Just curious, but did not many people pick up the OSB-1 or just not posting?
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One

#92489 - 01/25/13 09:06 AM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I suspect the OSB-1 was a little too expensive for most looking for a soundbar. Even one not needing a sub. For $900 you can get a pretty good start on a 5.1 system.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#92491 - 01/25/13 12:56 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

XenonMan,

You make a good point. However, here is something to consider: Let's assume you have a really decent home theater. I do- an Atlantic 8200 system (I have connections there) an LFM-Ex, a 975, and 7500, and finally, an Epson 9700 projector. I am really happy with this theater

Then I have two flat panels in other parts of my home including our bedroom. A receiver, 5 speakers, and a subwoofer just didn't seem to be the appropriate set-up (I learned when discussing things with one's spouse "subwoofer" and "bedroom" should never be uttered in the same sentence.)

The OSB-1 satisfies my needs for great sound (including robust bass) and it is installed above our wardrobe and angled down where it is unobtrusive. The both of us are happy.

I am not saying I built this for myself. But I am saying that in the design process I imagined how it was going to solve a big challenge in my home.

So the thought here is if you want great performance in more than one location in your home (ie: sound that will truly match the great picture) and at the same time you want a pretty good two- channel system when the TV is off, then the OSB-1 covers those bases in spades.

ymmv

Peter

#92492 - 01/25/13 02:31 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I am in the target that PeterT describes, just waiting for the okay from the better half. I may need to postpone retirement a few months and use the proceeds for my toys.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#92495 - 01/25/13 09:54 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I agree there is a market out there for the OSB-1. I also have several systems and each has its own sub which the wife is not necessarily thrilled with. The combination of a soundbar with an OWA and a sub placed inobtrusively would be a cost effective way to keep the peace. It is easier for me to explain six speakers for $1200 vice one for $900.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#92497 - 01/25/13 10:15 PM Re: OSB-1 Owner Comments [Re: JonSisk]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
In general, speakers don't generate a lot of chatter in the forum because there's not much need to ask about setup. Subs get a little more because of the need to sort out bass management, and surround receivers and processors get the most traffic because there is the greatest complexity to sort through. If we ever follow through with plans to renovate, I could easily see using one of these paired with a Model 975/7075 in our master bedroom.

#92506 - 01/27/13 09:12 PM I don't understand the need to pair? [Re: gonk]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Originally Posted By: gonk
I could easily see using one of these paired with a Model 975/7075 in our master bedroom.

If I understand the OSB-1 correctly, it is designed to run without a receiver or power-amp with two digital optical feeds, a digital coax feed and an analog feed with no provision for either HDMI or amplified input.

Unless you are using it for a center channel speaker (seems like overkill), or your bedroom system require more than 3 inputs, I don't understand why you would pair it anything. The 975 does not appear to be a great solution to feeding the OSB-1 in any case, unless you only wanted the OSB-1 for stereo.

Edited by 73Bruin (01/27/13 10:22 PM)
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#92510 - 01/28/13 03:31 PM Re: I don't understand the need to pair? [Re: JonSisk]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
The situation Peter describes is one big reason for the popularity of soundbars, namely once you hear how much a nice setup can improve the overall enjoyment of all content, but especially higher quality content it does make one want that same experience in every room of the house. Personally I feel "cheated" when watching a BluRay with only the TV's default two channel very low fidelity built--in speakers. The physical layout of my master bedroom is such that 7.1 sound with in-wall speakers is actually easier to install than in the other rooms of my home.

That said the "benefits" of a nice "zero setup" soundbar also make it easy to gift to my mom and (make my MIL an "outlaw" too) so that they and the kids can enjoy the enhanced experience of home theater with no fears of "pushing the wrong button".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 146 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts