Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#91648 - 11/09/12 01:02 PM Near Field Listening with OSB-1
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
I am wondering if anyone has any experience or opinion on using the OSB-1 for near field listening(NFL). I'm thinking of using one for my office system. My plan would be to mount it on the wall just above my monitor. That would put me 30-36" from the unit. I know there are huge debates about the merits of NFL and I don't want to get in to that here. NFL provides a great listening experience with speakers that have good inter-driver coherence, i.e. you can't hear the individual drivers, you just hear one sound source. Typically, and this is my concern with the OSB-1, the closer the drivers are within the cabinet the better the inter-speaker coherency will be. I can see from on of the picture that there are woofer/tweeter pairs at each end of the unit so this might be OK, but I'm concerned about the H-PAS aspect of the speaker and how well that would work when at NFL ranges.

I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions.

Thank You,
Mark
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#91649 - 11/09/12 05:49 PM Re: Near Field Listening with OSB-1 [Re: mdrconsult]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

We have actually experimented with near field listening at about 3-4 feet. When listening to vocals with the setting at 3C on the remote control, there is a terrific acoustic lock on voice along a very satisfying sense of room ambience.

I would give it a shot. With a 30- day free trial you really have nothing to lose.

Peter

#91661 - 11/12/12 09:48 PM Re: Near Field Listening with OSB-1 [Re: PeterT]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Peter,

Thank You for your response.

I suspect I'd be using it primarily in 2C mode as it would be for music. I guess I'll have to give it a try and see how it works.

Regards,
Mark
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts