Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#86837 - 04/22/11 04:17 PM OAW3 cutting out
sloane Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Wa
Hello, I got my first OAW3 for my SVS sub, hooked to my Onkyo receiver and it appears to work fine. So I ordered another transmitter and 2 receivers to go from my iTunes on my mac to both of my Onkyo receivers. It constantly cuts out then it will play for awhile 10-15 minutes then cut out for a minute sputtering sound. Very annoying and I have adjusted the transmitter and the receivers to no avail. I am using a different channel than the one for the sub. Has anyone else had this problem? The transmitter is only about 20-25 feet from the 1st receiver, though it is in a hidden equipment room, a french door and a wall away. Did I get a bad unit? Help this sooo frustrating I feel like crawling under to hard wire it. Thank you in advance, Dan

Comforting the Afflicted,
Afflicting the Comfortable

#86841 - 04/23/11 03:13 PM Re: OAW3 cutting out [Re: sloane]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Does it cut out when it is not out of line of sight. If it does send it back it is defective for sure.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#86849 - 04/25/11 09:52 AM Re: OAW3 cutting out [Re: XenonMan]
sloane Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have to get some longer cords and I will try that. Thanks XenonMan

#86854 - 04/26/11 11:51 AM Re: OAW3 cutting out [Re: sloane]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Sloane:

First thing I would check is if the transmitter in the equipment room hot to the touch. The fact that it works for so long then cuts out might be an indication that it's overheating and going into thermal shutdown. (I'm assuming they have thermal shutdown capability-but I don't know this for sure.) Could be a bad power supply, an internal short the transmitter or an over-driven input .

You have two transmitters, right?

Swap them and see if the problem follows the transmitter or stays with the location. You can swap receivers also but it sounds to me like your problem is either transmitter or something about the location.

Your equipment room and doors aren't full of metal are they? It could be you are shielding the transmitter from the receiver. If you swap transmitters and the problem stays in the equipment room then I would guess you have a shielding problem. If the problem moves to your sub then the transmitter is probably bad.

Hope this helps.

#86870 - 04/29/11 07:56 PM Re: OAW3 cutting out [Re: sloane]
Woohoo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

IF the problem persists with a particular "link", even after swapping with known good transmitters and receivers, you could be dealing with RF interference.

The unlicensed 2.4Ghz Spectrum is a crowded and busy space in the RF world. It helps to have a way to "see" what is happening.

I have access to RF spectrum analyzers, but there are cheaper options on the market. See the links below for some help.

Running a wifi network?

Try running-

http://www.metageek.net/products/wi-spy/

I'd recommend the Wi-Spy 2.4i. It should enlighten you on what is happening.

On a side note you should install inSSIDer on any laptop on a wifi network. Might help work out network interference issues as well.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Or it could just be a bad unit... tough to say from the other side of a computer screen.

Good luck! Let us know what you find... I'd like to use this to stream audio to some "legacy" equipment.

#86939 - 05/12/11 11:15 AM Re: OAW3 cutting out [Re: Woohoo]
sloane Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the info, and here is the state of affairs. I switched units and both cut out even on the sub. I noticed this one day while playing music and watching the red and blue light on the receiving unit. So I used a long cord to place the units in direct view of each other and it worked better but still cut out 20' away in direct line of sight. I do use an apple wifi unit and it affects my cordless phones quite a bit. Next week I am going to try it after shutting off the wifi. I am thinking this may be the problem in which case I cannot use them I guess. I will keep posting as things develop as this may also help others and OA.

#86949 - 05/14/11 07:46 AM Re: OAW3 cutting out [Re: sloane]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
The main reason I have not gone to an OWA setup is that my old Sharp microwave interferes with 2.4 Ghz phones. When the Sharp dies and if the new one doesn't have the same issue I will give it a try. Most WiFi setups have selectable frequency ranges close to but not exactly on the same frequency. Try a different frequancy to see if it helps. If the OWA is on the same or very close frequency it will get interference.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM