Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#86950 - 05/15/11 07:35 PM Quick question about SR5005
mkomara Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Guys,

Please be gentle with a total NOOB who really doesn't understand most of what you are talking about with respect to all of this equipment. I do have a question about the SR5005 and was hoping to get some help.

I have two setups. One is in my basement and used to be my primary. Sadly not anymore. I have a 990/7125 combo with Linn floor standing speakers. Nice. Bummer is that my Sony rear projection TV is crapping out on me. The HDMI outputs are going out one by one. Not sure why. Wish that the 990 had HDMI.

The second setup is in my living room. I have an Onkyo TX-SR806, no amp, Atlantic Tech speakers, 5.1 and subwoofer. Sometimes, now more often than not, no sound will come out of the speakers when I turn the system on. Doesn't matter whether it's the cable, Blu-ray, Vudu, or anything. There is some bass but no talking and no music. The full sound will eventually come on but it can take up to 1/2 hour. Then, sometimes it works when I turn it on. Very irritating. I did not buy the extended warranty unfortunately.

The question is whether to just dump the Onkyo and replace it with the 5005? The price is so good that it's hard to pass up and the Onkyo just isn't predictable. Probably too expensive to repair. I have been waiting for Outlaw to update the 990 but I probably won't be able to afford it when they do so maybe the 5005 would be a good interim measure.

Whatever advice I can get would be great. I am ready to throw this Onkyo out the window. Also, it gets REALLY hot! I mean really hot. Maybe it's melted something. Could that be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Maureen

#86951 - 05/16/11 08:08 AM Re: Quick question about SR5005 [Re: mkomara]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The problem with the Onkyo sounds like it's related to the internal amps. The bass is coming from the sub through a sub pre-out (not using an amp inside the receiver), therefore isn't affected. You could add a separate power amp, but I'd be worried that the receiver's problems could get worse if it's already experiencing problems. The SR5005 would probably be a very good replacement for it.

What sources do you have with the Sony TV downstairs? If you're losing HDMI inputs, an option could be to use an external HDMI switch - or, if you only have a couple of HDMI sources, the 990's DVI switching. That all assumes you are able to keep at least one HDMI input working on the Sony, though...

#86959 - 05/17/11 08:26 PM Re: Quick question about SR5005 [Re: gonk]
mkomara Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk. I agree about not adding an amp to the Onkyo because it acts so strangely. I doubt it would be worth it. Next time I will get the extended warranty.

Downstairs, I have the Sony TV, blu-ray player, cable box and amp all going into the 990s DVI inputs (outputs?). I have the cables that are HDMI on one side and DVI on the other. Initially, I ran the TV to the 990 from HDMI 1 but moved it to HDMI 2 when 1 stopped working. Now I cannot see an image on the TV when I start everything up although I can hear sound. I have to change the inputs from HDMI 2 to HDMI 3 on the TV (using the TV remote) and then back to HDMI 2. Then it works and I can see an image. I figure that 2 will go out on me just like 1 did. I really only need one HDMI input to work. Since I have one left, I guess it's okay. Can you replace them? It's an older rear projection TV but it's nice.

I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like an SR5005 is in my future!

#86961 - 05/18/11 07:40 AM Re: Quick question about SR5005 [Re: mkomara]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: mkomara
Downstairs, I have the Sony TV, blu-ray player, cable box and amp all going into the 990s DVI inputs (outputs?).

Inputs.

Originally Posted By: mkomara
I have the cables that are HDMI on one side and DVI on the other. Initially, I ran the TV to the 990 from HDMI 1 but moved it to HDMI 2 when 1 stopped working. Now I cannot see an image on the TV when I start everything up although I can hear sound. I have to change the inputs from HDMI 2 to HDMI 3 on the TV (using the TV remote) and then back to HDMI 2. Then it works and I can see an image. I figure that 2 will go out on me just like 1 did. I really only need one HDMI input to work. Since I have one left, I guess it's okay. Can you replace them? It's an older rear projection TV but it's nice.

This is how I'd probably set it up, too. You could always move to HDMI3 now and save the switching hassle, I suppose. I don't know if the inputs on the TV can be replaced. They probably could. The cable box could also use a component video connection without any real compromise in picture quality, based on the cable boxes I've used, but you'd likely still want to stay with HDMI for Blu-ray so you still need one active HDMI input on the TV.

#87346 - 07/08/11 04:15 PM Re: Quick question about SR5005 [Re: gonk]
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Has anyone used an outlaw amp with the 5005? Does it provide a much better sound and can you trigger the amp on and off with the 5005?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts