Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90992 - 07/18/12 02:52 PM Only one regret...
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois
I have not read through the bile that I am sure certian nay sayers have vented upon our beleaquered hosts.

I feel awful that the Outlaws have had the "manufacturing partner" pressured to kill the project. I believe the pressure is ample evidence that firms lthat might include Harman Intl, Parasond, NAD, Onkyo/Gibson or D&M beleived the planned product would have been a threat to their higher end offerings.

The way I see this, an overly intrusive North American based competitor pressured an ambitious SE Asia based contract fab into not risking known quantity business for disruptive upstart. It ia bit ironic that the SE Asian firm is tied down by old style bullying traditional competitor...

The response of Outlaw is commendable. Their formerly covert "Plan B" is moved up as both "new hope" for Outlaw and a shot across the stern of the "traditional North American competitor" that by sabotaging Outlaw's high end project said competitor is now facing the very unpleasant prospect of both its higher margin AND higher volume product(s) being under attack.

While Outlaw looses this battle they've upped the ante in the overall war against crummy value...

#90994 - 07/18/12 03:07 PM Re: Only one regret... [Re: renov8r]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think most of the bile around here is being aimed at whoever instigated the demise of the Model 978, not Outlaw. There may be some other sites today that are less compassionate toward Outlaw's loss, but - likely in part by the honest and level-headed nature of the announcement - I haven't seen much of that.

#91008 - 07/18/12 07:14 PM Re: Only one regret... [Re: gonk]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Why do people keep mentioning Parasound? They aren't in the SSP market any longer.

I don't see Harman either. They are in a completely different price category than Outlaw would be. And wasn't their latest pre/pro killed too?

Gibson has a stake in Onkyo, but Onkyo is not based in North America.

And D&M Holdings is based in Japan, not N.A. either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%26M_Holdings

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#91011 - 07/18/12 08:27 PM Re: Only one regret... [Re: Kevin C Brown]
shimrod Offline
Gunslinger

I believe outlaw it telling the truth as they heard it, I'm wondering how honest their Chinese partner is? How long until the 978 is available under another name and different cosmetics? There have been earlier posts in the 978 forum discussing the futility of trying to litigate such matters in China. This may well have been a colossal con-job by the partner. Amazing how this became an issue only when the final design and beta testing was complete.

#91014 - 07/18/12 08:56 PM Re: Only one regret... [Re: Kevin C Brown]
GreenGrass Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Martinsburg, West Virginia
That leaves NAD as a possibility (part of Lenbrook Group of Pickering, Ontario, Canada according to Wikipedia). Are there any other possibilities?

#91017 - 07/18/12 09:50 PM Re: Only one regret... [Re: GreenGrass]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

Shimrod, do you think an OEM in China that is experienced in building this kind of equipment needs to con the Outlaws out of a product? That's preposterous. If they wanted to put out their own product they'd do it with or without any Outlaw's involvement. WHat they're not going to collect is money from Outlaw for building anything. That's not a very good con job if it were one.

#91030 - 07/19/12 08:28 AM Re: Only one regret... [Re: twistybox]
shimrod Offline
Gunslinger

twistybox:First off, it's just speculation.Still, what did Outlaw bring to the table? If the OEM could just crank out a high quality processor at will we wouldn't have been waiting all these years. Whatever value Outlaw added to the project development, even if it's simply a firm grasp of what this segment of the market is looking for in a processor, that value is over in China as a ready-to-go product.
The OEM doesn't make money from Outlaw sales, but someone may have decided the whole enchilada is more enticing. Just see if someone's touting a great processor from "the next OPPO" in 6 months. Again, I have no direct knowledge of anything to do with this, I just find the timing curious.

#91034 - 07/19/12 10:46 AM Re: Only one regret... [Re: shimrod]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

But it's unfounded and somewhat ludicrous speculation. Complete fantasy, unicorn-tear style. It implies that one hasn't kept up with news/info of what the 978 would actually offer. In 6 months the processor would only be more out of date than it is already. This OEM would be looking to do what with this product? They'd be far better off collecting manufacturing costs from Outlaw.

DId you read the bits about Outlaw offering to buy the designs from the OEM? If you think that Outlaw brought the design to the OEM simply to "build" then you're way off base. The OEM was most definitely responsible for all the heavy lifting in this project. And such companies aren't in the business of direct retail sales. They're in the business of selling or facilitating design and manufacture. They'd still need to sell the design to someone to offer at retail. And I can't think of too many people that would like to start his kind of direct-sales business who would prefer to start with the 978 design rather than something a little more current.

I don't have a problem with speculation, but the idea is totally unfounded and just another form of China-bashing. It's sad to see.

#91035 - 07/19/12 10:52 AM Re: Only one regret... [Re: twistybox]
twistybox Offline
Gunslinger

If the story is exactly as told, it could very well be any third-party company. The issue with some of the ones already mentioned is that they don't currently offer any comparable or even interesting products. NAD has nothing. Parasound has nothing. Anthem isn't exactly a company with a lot of clout in retail, they're just overpriced boutique. But regardless of who it may be, this is just a case of someone protecting their own investment. Nothing anti-competitive about it. But the very nature of competition, of competing, is not to foster a competitive playing field. It's to win. To come out ahead. Yes, it's surprising that such a decision would come so late in the game, but no one outside the parties directly involved knows the details, so it's going to be very difficult to even speculate as to why.

#91048 - 07/19/12 11:38 PM Re: Only one regret... [Re: twistybox]
twitchy_one Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
This is what Outlaw gets for trusting outsourcing. They should have
built it in the USA & own it themselves rather than let the Chinese
do it. Back to the drawing board! Who knows? Maybe 5-10 years
down the road, maybe we'll see something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts