Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#87858 - 09/27/11 08:03 PM Model 978 - 988 differences
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
What is the real difference between the two? I realize that the 998 has not been finalized yet. I really need support for HDMI as my primary concern and hope that the Outlaws are not getting caught in that “got to have the latest chip” never ending cycle. I just need a replacement for the 990 and HDMI support. Yes, internet access would be nice, having the latest chips would be nice, but we are all Outlaws and the most important thing is acquiring our “Precious” at a cost which would make us feel as if we stole it (see definition of Outlaw). I really hope that the shipping of the 998 is not delayed to the Trinnov – XT 32 controversy. I can’t believe that no one but me, after using the latest room correction, simply tweaks it to their own EAR after the fact, really, come on, how important is that!

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#87864 - 09/28/11 10:35 AM Re: Model 978 - 988 differences [Re: MeanGene]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
We don't know the specs on the Model 998, but we do know that the Model 978 is basically derived from the hardware development work that went into the Model 998. The principle difference is room correction. The Model 998 was intended from the outset to use Trinnov, which has proven difficult to implement on consumer hardware. The Model 978 switched to Audyssey (initially MultEQ XT, but finally MultEQ XT32 instead). Beyond that, the differences are likely to be minimal at best - especially since the Model 978 already has some "extras" like ESS DAC chips and a phono pre-amp.

More than ever, I doubt that we'll see network functions integrated into an Outlaw surround processor for at least a generation or three. A year or two ago, Netflix was the killer app that drove a lot of this interest. Today, there are dozens of separate services that must be integrated separately and Netflix seems determined to drive away every customer they have through price changes, poor communication, and splitting off the disc service. If they get bought by Google (who already has YouTube) or Amazon (who already has their own VOD service that is free to Amazon Prime subscribers), the landscape could change significantly. For that matter, if they simply fail to remain competitive, the landscape could still shift a great deal. It is a very difficult landscape for a small developer to get any traction in, both because of development costs and because the services all want to focus on getting integrated into components that reach the most customers (game consoles, full product lines for large manufacturers, etc.). Better to leave those functions for a separate product like a Roku box or an AppleTV or a WD box. At that point, network connectivity would be mainly for home automation (in place of RS232), but once it is added people will expect a lot more. Maybe for the next generation of hardware, it will become practical to incorporate network connectivity for the sake of a web-based control interface or smart phone remote control app.

#87869 - 09/29/11 10:17 AM Re: Model 978 - 988 differences [Re: gonk]
tkntz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States
I just want to clarify some of the history here on the 997 vs 978/998. It seems that there may be some confusion on how we got here with the 978/998 and this thread seems to be the most appropriate place for this note:

There was a 997 that was canceled and there will be a 978 and a 998 (according to Outlaw). The 997 was going to have Trinnov and was based off the Sherwood R-972, but Outlaw canceled that model due to numerous implementation issues and opted to design their own model from the ground up. That was the model 998, which was still going to include Trinnov. As it became evident that implementation of Trinnov in the 998 was creating further delays in releasing a pre/pro, Outlaw announced the 978 with Audyssey, with the intent that Trinnov would eventually be implemented in the 998. However, Peter recently revealed that the 998 may also not include Trinnov given its ever ellusive implementation in a consumer product.

Feel free to add to my brief history. There certainly were many steps along the way that I left out.

#87870 - 09/29/11 11:02 AM Re: Model 978 - 988 differences [Re: tkntz]
gonk Offline
Desperado

That's a good overview.

#87874 - 09/29/11 12:57 PM Re: Model 978 - 988 differences [Re: gonk]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
If a Model 998 is to appear anytime soon, it says here that it will likely be based on the 978 (with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, not Trinnov) and include the few missing features that might be of interest to a significant number of purchasers. IMO, those features are 9.2 outputs, network connectivity (especially for bi-directional IP control by your iPad, etc., less so for streaming), full implementation of Audyssey DSX, DTS Neo:X and possibly a more current video processor with the option of 4K upscaling. Such a product might even have a chance of seeing the light of day before it also becomes yesterday's news, as is already happening with the 978, despite my continued interest in it.

#87875 - 09/29/11 02:17 PM Re: Model 978 - 988 differences [Re: GaryB]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Based on what Outlaw has said about these two products in the past, that is correct. I think it goes without saying that a Model 998 delivered any time soon (within say 9-12 months of the Model 978) will have the same basic feature set - and the same notable feature set omissions - as the Model 978.

#87876 - 09/29/11 02:45 PM Re: Model 978 - 988 differences [Re: gonk]
GaryB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
In case I wasn't clear, I meant that the 998 needs to include the features I listed - missing from the 978 - to be relevant in today's and especially next year's market. IMO, there really is no point in introducing a product which is supposed to be a "higher-end" model than the 978 unless it includes those features at the very least.

#87878 - 09/29/11 03:24 PM Re: Model 978 - 988 differences [Re: GaryB]
happy2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NH
I don't think the 998 can be significantly different from the 978 if it doesn't include Trinnov. It would probably be too much work to change the video processor or make other large changes.

#87879 - 09/29/11 04:22 PM Re: Model 978 - 988 differences [Re: GaryB]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: GaryB
In case I wasn't clear, I meant that the 998 needs to include the features I listed - missing from the 978 - to be relevant in today's and especially next year's market. IMO, there really is no point in introducing a product which is supposed to be a "higher-end" model than the 978 unless it includes those features at the very least.

If that becomes their goal, the Model 998 will be a ground-up new design and will be years away from shipping.

#87880 - 09/29/11 04:43 PM Re: Model 978 - 988 differences [Re: gonk]
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
It seems to be harder and harder for smaller companies to do their own AVRs and SSPs. Re: Parasound, B&K, etc.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts