Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#92823 - 03/04/13 07:57 PM Running Maggie 1.6 full range
Brixter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi all,

I got a new pair of Magnepan 1.6 speakers about a month ago, and I'm trying to mate them with my LFM 1-ex. The dealer recommended I run the Maggies full range and use the sub to cover everything below 50 hz, which is what I've done by bypassing the bass management on my RR2150 and using the sub's crossover (set as close to 50 as I can figure). Here's the issue: it seems that the sub is not playing very loudly in this configuration. Prior to getting the Maggies, I had a pair of Audio Physic monitors set up using the RR2150's bass management crossover at 60 hz and volume on the sub at under 4; that rocked the house. Now, when I'm playing music at a fairly loud level with the sub volume at 5.5, I can put my hand on the sub's woofer and it seems like it's really not moving much--and the bass is very weak.

I'm pretty sure I have everything set up correctly (the receiver's bass management is bypassed and I've set the crossover switch on the sub to active). I figure this can't be normal. Does anyone have any idea what's going on or what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!

#92825 - 03/04/13 08:58 PM Re: Running Maggie 1.6 full range [Re: Brixter]
renov8r Offline
Desperado

Loc: Illinois

I think you may have things sorta X'd up: smile

From 2150 manual: "We suggest that you use the rear panel Bass Management switch (RP15) rather
than your powered sub’s internal crossover. ... BP (Bypass)duplicates the full range signal sent to your speakers at the subwoofer output. This enables you to utilize the crossover in your subwoofer."

From the LFM 1-ex manual: " If your receiver or processor already has
a built in crossover, disable the crossover on the LFM by flipping the “X-OVER”
switch to the “BYPASS” position. "

Phase issue? LFM 1-ex manaul: "Try both positions of the phase switch to determine which way sounds
more bass-heavy. The bass-heavier position is the setting where the output of the
LFM and the main speakers are most in phase."

I further guess is that the total amount of bass represented by frequencies below 50 hz is a tiny fraction of that under 60 hz...

#92826 - 03/04/13 08:59 PM Re: Running Maggie 1.6 full range [Re: Brixter]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Try setting the bass management switch on the back of the 2150 to 60 hz and dial your subs crossover all the way up. That will allow the 2150 to send only signals less than 60 hz to the sub and everything else to the maggies. There is not a lot of music with extended LFE but there is some.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts