I'm posting in this forum rather than the 1050 forum because things look a bit more alive over here...

I need to replace 24 year old ESS HD 1000 speakers that I connect to a 1050. I am looking for a stereo music setup, preferably without a subwoofer (at least for the time being.) I have narrowed it down to the Axiom 22 or the Paradigm Studio 20/40. Unfortunately, I cannot preview the Axioms without ordering them, and custom finish orders are not fully refundable if the speakers are returned. (I may just have to go with a stock cabinet.)

I spent over an hour this afternoon doing an A/B comparison of the Paradigm Studio 20 and 40 speakers and I have a very good impression of the differences between the two models. Has anyone by chance had experience listening to the Axioms and the Studio 20?

The main comment/complaint that I read about the Axioms is their lack of bass compared with other comparable (and usually more expensive) speakers. But if they have bass comparable to the Studio 20 then I think that I could easily live with it when taking into account the significant price differential ($460 vs. $800).