Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9475 - 04/07/07 06:12 PM HDMI Handshake issue
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
I defintely think I have a HDMI handshake issue with my HD Time Warner cable Box, the message on my Panasonic 9UK Plasma says my HDTV does not support HPCP and to connect using component video. If i change my cable box will that solve the problem, or it is my TV, or is it my receiver which does my HDMI DVI switching that is causing the problem? The problem comes now and again. I called Time Warner cable and they said it was my TV Setting. I have the Panasonic 9UK plasma with HDMI input board which is conneted to my 970 with DVI to HDMI. I doubt its my TV settings. I can not connect with component because wiring is already done in wall. Please advise on how to fix. Thanks.

#9476 - 04/07/07 07:31 PM Re: HDMI Handshake issue
loopy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central Ma.
Hi groomz, sometimes you have to turn things on in a certain sequence. for example I have to turn on my 990 first than tv than cable box{charter} otherwise I get pretty much the same messeage you do. give it a try to see if it helps,and good luck

#9477 - 04/07/07 10:43 PM Re: HDMI Handshake issue
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Loopy's got a good idea - first find out if the combination of cable box and display are sensitive to sequencing when getting their HDCP handshake worked out. In many areas, cable companies offer a limited number of HD cable box models - odds of getting a different model than you already have a slim. Of course, if your box's HDMI output is simply broken (which probably can't be entirely ruled out) then an exchange would solve the problem.

#9478 - 04/07/07 11:22 PM Re: HDMI Handshake issue
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

sometimes i get no picture but i do get audio, i hear all the channels when i change them but no picture. right now my 970 turns on first, then my cable box, and last my TV. sometimes i have no issues with the sequence, but recently i can't watch TV. do you think my HDMI in the cable box is broken? i'm going to exchange it anyway, but any other ideas as why i'm having this issue? anything i can do to prevent it? my sequence seems right 970, cable box, then TV. it was working fine before (for 2 weeks), what gives? HDMI is not something new. I'll see what happens and let you guys know.

Thanks for the feedback. angelo

#9479 - 04/08/07 03:52 AM Re: HDMI Handshake issue
loopy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central Ma.
Gooomz maybe try resetting the cable box,I had to do that when I had a HDMI switcher, the cables would somehow work loose and would mess everything up, finally went back to DVI, just got tired of unplugging the cable box then plugging it back in and waiting for it to reset.I myself am not looking to go back to HDMI soon,just my 2cents

#9480 - 04/08/07 01:09 PM Re: HDMI Handshake issue
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

I unplugged my cable box for a couple of hours and then plugged it back in and presto, it works. i'm using hdmi to dvi for video and optical for audio. i have a feeling though it will happen again and i will have to reset the box again. just curious to know if my hdmi port is defective, the software for the box it buggy, or something else. what is causing this because i have a feeling i'm not the only one and it will happen again?

#9481 - 04/08/07 02:29 PM Re: HDMI Handshake issue
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Cable box software has been buggy for years, and I've noticed some new quirks cropping up since firmware updates went out for the daylight savings change. If you're worried that there's a hardware problem, exchange the box - it'd certaily help ti figure out of the problem is firmware or hardware.

#9482 - 04/09/07 12:36 PM Re: HDMI Handshake issue
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts