Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9428 - 03/27/07 07:28 PM Definitive Tech speaker questions
Chipotle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
I'm considering getting -- eventually! -- a set of Definitive Tech speakers, probably the BP7006s (and some of their smaller speakers for the surround channels). These would be part of what's basically an entirely new audio system for me, keeping only the Philips 963 DVD/SACD player that I currently have. I'm leaning toward one of the Outlaw amp systems (hence why I'm posting here).

So here's a couple questions I'd like to throw out...

First off, I'm not sure what Outlaw amp system I'm leaning toward. smile Part of me would definitely prefer the 990/7175 combination, but I confess I don't know how much of that is just a desire to have separates and go all the way (within my budget). Does anyone have any experience with Def Tech's tower speakers and Outlaw equipment? While what attracts me to Def Tech is their bipole line, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has a ProCinema setup, too. (I expect I'll be using it at least 50% of the time for music rather than video.)

Also, the BP7006s are 8 ohm speakers, and have powered subwoofers in them. I'm assuming I'd set the two front speakers to 'large' and turn off the subwoofer output. Any flaws in that thought? And does that suggest any "best path" for an Outlaw product to consider?

Thanks for any insights/advice.

#9429 - 03/28/07 12:57 AM Re: Definitive Tech speaker questions
meatbag Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: TX
I have a set of DefTech ProTower500's as rears now, they used to be my mains before getting some Sonus Faber speakers.

The DefTech's have a RCA input for the LFE/sub signal from the preamp and thats how I had mine hooked up. That way you get a cleaner bass signal to them that you have more control of.
Outlaw 990 and 7500
Signal Cable speaker cable
outlaw audio interconnects

#9430 - 03/28/07 08:09 AM Re: Definitive Tech speaker questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are a number of DefTech owners floating around here - the DefTech/Outlaw combo has been used often over the years, and from what those DefTech owners have posted here it's a solid direction to go. The 7125 would be a find choice, I'd think - and I can heartily recommend the 990.

As meatbag suggests, if you don't have a separate dedicated subwoofer in the system I'd definitely set the fronts to small and feed the subwoofer output to both towers' built-in subs.

#9431 - 03/28/07 09:40 AM Re: Definitive Tech speaker questions
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
I have Def Tech 2002s (bipolar, powered sub), C/L/R 2002 and the BPX surrounds hooked up to a 990/755 (predecessor to the 7500) combo. The switch to Outlaw from my previous integrated amp (Yammie 75 wpc) really opened up the speakers. You might get the same results with a high power receiver, but then you probably are getting pretty close to the cost of an Outlaw pre-pro combo.

As to how to set up the speakers, I suggest sending an e-mail to customer support at DefTech. Chet Pelkowski (info@definitivetech.com) is very helpful and will advise on various options for setting up your speakers. Good luck!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts