Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9160 - 10/31/06 01:48 AM Axiom M22 vs. Paradigm Studio 20?
Mojo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm posting in this forum rather than the 1050 forum because things look a bit more alive over here...

I need to replace 24 year old ESS HD 1000 speakers that I connect to a 1050. I am looking for a stereo music setup, preferably without a subwoofer (at least for the time being.) I have narrowed it down to the Axiom 22 or the Paradigm Studio 20/40. Unfortunately, I cannot preview the Axioms without ordering them, and custom finish orders are not fully refundable if the speakers are returned. (I may just have to go with a stock cabinet.)

I spent over an hour this afternoon doing an A/B comparison of the Paradigm Studio 20 and 40 speakers and I have a very good impression of the differences between the two models. Has anyone by chance had experience listening to the Axioms and the Studio 20?

The main comment/complaint that I read about the Axioms is their lack of bass compared with other comparable (and usually more expensive) speakers. But if they have bass comparable to the Studio 20 then I think that I could easily live with it when taking into account the significant price differential ($460 vs. $800).

#9161 - 10/31/06 07:50 AM Re: Axiom M22 vs. Paradigm Studio 20?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I can speak to cousins of both speakers, as I use Studio 60's (version 2, not the newer v3 or v4) as my mains and M3's as my side surrounds. Just based on that experience, I'd lean toward the Studio 20. The Paradigm's strike me as being more substantial in both build quality and sound. Sorry I can't speak to the specific models in question, but hopefully that may help a bit.

#9162 - 10/31/06 05:13 PM Re: Axiom M22 vs. Paradigm Studio 20?
kjl Offline
Gunslinger

I had the M22s and Paradigm Mini Monitors side by side in my house plugged into the Outlaw 1070. The M22s went back, because there really is no bass, drums sound like little pops and they are really bright (to my ears at least). The Mini Monitors list for US$429, the Axioms for $460. If price is a concern, then maybe consider the Mini Monitors.

In any case, to me the M22s seriously lack bass and you can get better speakers for the same money from Paradigm and B&W (demoed those too, but in a store).

After about three months I upgraded from the Mini Monitors to the Studio 20s, partly because they sound much better than the Mini Monitors and largely because I wanted to upgrade my center channel from the Paradigm CC370 (sounds muddy on dialogue) to the CC470 (the CC570 wouldn't fit). To me, the big jump in performance from the CC370 to the CC470 is more than worth the cost of moving to the Studio series.

So my experience was not to buy the M22s and go with Paradigm instead. You may also want to consider the B&W speakers in your price range if you have a dealer nearby.

Hope this helps. There is no substitute, though, for demoing the equipment in your own home.

#9163 - 11/02/06 03:15 PM Re: Axiom M22 vs. Paradigm Studio 20?
Mojo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies. I have removed Axioms from my list because from what I have read they would not meet my expectations. I am now considering the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Mini-Tower Monitor and Boston Acoustics VR3 as lower-cost alternatives to the Paradigm Signature speakers.

Anyone have experience with either speaker that can compare them with Paradigm?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts