Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8968 - 01/30/06 10:57 PM Thinking About Maggies.......Help!
korkster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Jersey
Hello everyone:

I'm the new guy on the block but have been visiting for awhile now. I am also the recent recipient of the 990/7125 combo. This was the first step in upgrading the audio portion of my home theater. I have been enjoying many years of faithful service from a Yamaha RXV-793 (first generation Dolby Digital, no DTS) and five NHT Super Ones for speakers with a Definitive Technologies Pro-Sub 150. Nothing fancy but for the budget I had very servicable. I am now able to move up the ladder a few steps and started with the Outlaws. I'm actually thinking about taking advantage of the offer to upgrade the 7125 to probably the 7500 now that its available.

Now for my dilemma: speakers (I know, get in line, right?) I auditioned a pair of Magnepan 1.6's last week and really enjoyed the incredible soundstage they threw at me. However, the electronics that were powering them were considerably different than what I have, and I'd like to know how the Outlaws would do. I see that Ritz has a pair in his system. I'm tempted to take advantage of Magnepan's trial offer of MMG's factory direct for 60 days. I know they are not 1.6's but I'm not sure my wife would let speakers that big anywhere near our house. Anyway, does this strategy make any sense to anyone out there? The room my theater is in is pretty large, 16x25 with a 14 ft. vaulted ceiling. Would the size of this room completely overwhelm the MMG's? Also, I'm seeing that Maggies need a lot of power. How would the Outlaws handle the need for power?

I also auditioned a pair of Paradigm ref. 40's and some B&W's. I just like the "presence" that the Maggies gave, if that description makes any sense. I know that this is a very subjective topic and no one can tell me what sounds good to me except me. But any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated. I'm all ears (sorry about the pun)!

#8969 - 01/31/06 07:59 AM Re: Thinking About Maggies.......Help!
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
The MMGs aren't going to be able to fill such a volumous room very well. Also, I don't think the 7125 has enough grunt to get the job done with the 1.6's either. It might work, at lower levels, but these speakers get hungry for power. I'm pretty happy with the way the 755 drives the 1.6's, but that's almost twice the power of the 7125.

The 1.6 is a fine speaker. I love mine. If it was me (and it isn't), I'd just get something with a bit more power than the 7125 to drive them, especially with that high ceiling. You could always cart the 7125 down to wherever you auditioned the maggies and see if they'll let you swap it in for a listen. It might sound OK, but I know that with my higher level listening habits, it probably wouldn't be the best fit.

The 990 is a no brainer. I love the 990.

Hope that helped.

Cheers,

#8970 - 02/04/06 09:39 AM Re: Thinking About Maggies.......Help!
korkster Offline
Gunslinger

Ritz,

Thank you for your response. It took me awhile to get back to back to this forum as it's been a very busy week. I think I've decided that the Maggies are going to have to wait until I can put together a nice two channel set-up in our living room. I think they really shine with the old stereo set-up anyway. And you're right, the MMG's would get lost in our room.

I'm inclined to order a couple of Axiom M80's to audition. I've heard and read nothing but good stuff about these speakers and if I don't like them I can send them back just like the Outlaw gear. In fact I think I've also decided to trade in my 7125 for the 200 amp 7500. The extra power will be helpful with detail no matter what speakers I go with. I'm also going to go out and audition some Paradigm Ref. Studio 40's today. I listened to the 20's last week and was impressed but would like to hear the 40's which they didn't have in stock. Some times I think we have too many choices, but it's a nice problem to have.

If anyone has any thoughts or other suggestions I'd be happy to hear from you. Thanks.

#8971 - 02/04/06 09:41 AM Re: Thinking About Maggies.......Help!
korkster Offline
Gunslinger

Oops,

I meant "watt" instead of "amp." My bad. Like I said, it's been a long week.

Regards

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM