Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8873 - 09/05/05 09:33 AM Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
Outley Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Geneva, IL
I am using Bose 901 VI speakers for my front left and right. I would use one for the center but I do not have enough space. So I need something smaller and direct firing not relective like the 901's. But with similar tonal qualities, especially in reproducing speach.

I have room for a center 32"wide x 10"high x 16"deep.

Bose make a center but it is not even close to matching with the 901's and can't take anywhere near the power that the 901's can!

Currently using Outlaw 1050 with seporate 100w per channel power amp for the 901's as you need to add the Bose Equalizer only to the Bose speakers.

#8874 - 09/05/05 01:26 PM Re: Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Bose 901's are unusual speakers, and Bose doesn't make a center channel that is similar (the VCS 10 being their only center). And unfortunately a search of the forum just now didn't turn up any similar systems. What other speakers are you running (surrounds, ...)? - might give us an idea what has worked well for you in association with the 901's.

#8875 - 09/05/05 03:45 PM Re: Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
See if you can arrange to bring your Bose rig in to a local boutique store, such as a Tweeter or equivalent (making sure they have a good selection of center channels in the price range you're looking at). If you check in advance, they'll often tell you the best time. Get in there with your favorite source material, and you can set your rig up and swap out all the center channels they have to find the one that works the best for you. I've found this to be the most effective way to ensure my own long-term satisfaction.

#8876 - 09/05/05 05:43 PM Re: Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
my ultimate advice would be to buy some 901 drivers off ebay and build a center to match.assuming some DIY knowledge.i would think that would be the best way to get 'voiced matched'.but some DIY would be needed.

#8877 - 09/05/05 07:29 PM Re: Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
Bill B. Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
I'm currently using 901's (series 2 without the equalizer), Boston Acoustics 525V for center channel, Boston Acoustics VRS side surrounds, a Boston Acoustics 595V (unpowered) and an M&K V75M2 powered subwoofer. They all work very well together. Having been at this for a long time, I'm still driving the six unpowere speakers with three Dynaco Stereo 120's.

#8878 - 09/06/05 01:44 PM Re: Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
Outley Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The Bose 901's are unusual speakers, and Bose doesn't make a center channel that is similar (the VCS 10 being their only center). And unfortunately a search of the forum just now didn't turn up any similar systems. What other speakers are you running (surrounds, ...)? - might give us an idea what has worked well for you in association with the 901's.
Currently using Eosone surrounds because that's what I used to have for fronts until I bought the 901's. But I'll be adding two more 911's for the surrounds as soon as I can.

#8879 - 09/06/05 02:21 PM Re: Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
Outley Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by painttoad:
my ultimate advice would be to buy some 901 drivers off ebay and build a center to match.assuming some DIY knowledge.i would think that would be the best way to get 'voiced matched'.but some DIY would be needed.
Good idea. I have enough DIY knowledge to build a good speaker box that could house 6 to 8 901 drivers in a forward firing configuration but Bose uses their baffle configuration behind the drivers that is something like a maze to lengthen the base "wave". Not sure how to mimick that. Also while I'm OK with a soldering gun, I'd need help with what configuration to wire the drivers. I believe the 901's have no crossovers as all is done in the Equalizer box.

#8880 - 09/06/05 02:25 PM Re: Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
It's hard to say since Bose has always refused to give any meaningful specs on any of their speakers. I listened to them years ago and absolutely hated the sound (with and without the eq), but maybe they've changed them since then...

Perhaps you can find a local audio store that will let you try a few different center speakers in your home so you can check how well they blend in your intended environment? That's what I'd try to do if you can.

That said, I've seen/heard the Magnepan MMGs used as centers with quite good results. You may even prefer them as mains over the 901s. 8-) They're only about $500/pair and I believe you can try them at home and return them if you don't like them. Check Magnepan's web site for details.

Cheers,

#8881 - 09/06/05 11:22 PM Re: Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
i wouldn't be overly concerned trying to mimic the "transmission' line or whatever bose likes to call it,because bose has no lows(this is only my opinion,and we know how everybody feels about them) laugh .i'm not out to slam your speakers,but if i was doing it,i'd just throw 4(or 6) drivers in a sealed box,there really is no formula since we don't have t/s parameters,but parts express has computer software where you hook up the driver leads and it gives you the parameters.
that said,you would need to get the resistance of the driver(ohm-meter) and figure out a series-parallel configuration to come up with an acceptable load for your amp.(could be triple series-parallel for 6 drivers)

and awhile back me and a buddy took apart a working 'acoustimas' bass module for giggles.it was a dual ported bandpass design where:

chamber one had the output port firing to the room.loaded by 3 input ports
chamber two was loaded by the 2-6" woofer cones,2 ports loading chamber 1
chamber 3 was loaded by the rear of the drivers also ported into chamber 1

lot's of luck

and i did like one bose speaker:the 10.2

probably the best they made and probably the first they stopped making

#8882 - 09/07/05 03:09 PM Re: Need matching center for Bose 901 VI
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
some friendly advice, when winter rolls around, get yourself a comfortable couch, pull it up close to the fireplace and enjoy the only true warmth your Bose speakers can provide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts