Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8317 - 06/21/04 11:33 PM Outlaw prod. recommendations
topper Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Peoria,Illinois USA
currently have Denon AVR3802 as center of my 10 speaker HT set up,under a 3.4 ohm front L/R speaker load. ANY SUGGESTIONS for a really good Outlaw receiver as a possible replacement. (any/all replies appreciated)
Thank You all
Gary
Peoria,Illinois

------------------
music makes the world go 'round!!!

#8318 - 06/22/04 12:15 AM Re: Outlaw prod. recommendations
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Well, the current options for going with Outlaw are (1) getting a Model 950 pre/pro along with an amp (or amps) and (2) waiting for the release of their Model 1070 receiver, which is due to begin shipping at the end of December. The 3.4 ohm load on your front speakers makes separate amplification an appealing option, since the majority of receivers can't handle difficult loads like that.

How are your ten speakers configured? You're obviously doing something a little different than the traditional 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 arrangement.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#8319 - 06/22/04 01:12 AM Re: Outlaw prod. recommendations
topper Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

my speaker configuration is: l/r = 1 pr. Bose towers plus 1 pr. JBL towers...center = Polk 3way...sub. = 1 400 watt 12 INCH JBL...rear surrounds = 1 pr. Polk bookshelf, and 1 pr. Infinity towers Kind of a mix and match set up,but they sound really good. Perhaps my calling it a 10 speaker set up was a little misleading. The Outlaw 1070 sounds quite appealing (would love to know specs.,etc.

------------------

#8320 - 06/22/04 08:19 AM Re: Outlaw prod. recommendations
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

topper,

Nothing misleading with what you've said.

I too run multiple speakers (14 - includes 4 subs) in a 7.1 set-up. However I have taken care to use identical speakers for the front L/R (4 Koss CM1030), centre (2 Koss CM1020), and surrounds (4 Bose 301III). And since all speakers have either an amp channel or bridged power amp to themselves (along with an equalizer channel as well) I have the ability to both tailor the frequency response and relative output of every speaker. It takes a bit of time and effort, but when everything is in sync it works great.

I don't believe that this could be possible (at least not optimal) in a set-up where you are driving everything through a single receiver AND where you have mixed and matched speaker types / brands / models to the extent that you have.

That it sounds good to you is not in doubt; we usually all grow fond of the way our systems sound. But I think that you could improve on it if you were able to independently control and calibrate the level for each speaker - if you are going to keep using a multi-speaker set-up. But I still think that "negatives" of mixing speaker types is going to be hard to overcome - for a lot of reasons. It's just bit of unsolicited advice, but I'd consider taking either the Bose or JBLs out of action up front.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#8321 - 06/22/04 11:26 AM Re: Outlaw prod. recommendations
topper Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thank you much for response & info......Denon AVR3802 has speaker distance compenstaion settings,and spkr. level adjustments,base management settings,(any/all may be set to large or small). Understand what you are telling me,though. The mixture I have just sort of happened,and do realize a better combination/arrangement could provide even better sound.(plus,I run cd player & tape deck through an equalizer)
Thanks again....appreciate it!
Gary

#8322 - 06/22/04 11:39 AM Re: Outlaw prod. recommendations
topper Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

P.S. Plus receiver (Denon 3802) is rated for loads down to 2 ohms (150 watts @ 6ohms)

ALL good info./response.....like to learn all I can when possible

------------------

#8323 - 06/22/04 12:01 PM Re: Outlaw prod. recommendations
topper Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

front l/r pairs, Bose 701 towers & JBL towers wired in paralell so as to not degrade frequency response......
Love this site......very cool,and informative!
(perhaps will consider amp/preamp set up......love lots of power).....will investigate possibilities. Have heard/read nothing but good about Outlaw products!!!

------------------

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts