Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8016 - 02/20/04 09:07 AM DVD coax output question...
NYC-EMT Offline
Gunslinger

I have a rather basic Sony DVD player with RCA outs for sound and Video and an S-Video out. I currently use the RCAs for sound and the s-video for the picture when connected to my TV. The DVD player also has a digitial coax output.

I am considering building a HT with the 950 as my preamp/processor. I already have a multi-channel amplifier from my brother. Since I will be keeping the DVD player for now, what would be the best way to connect the DVD player to the 950:

- Should I use the s-video for picture and the RCAs for sound?

- What about the digital coax connector on my DVD player, does this type of output normally output video, sound, or both?

- When you use the digital coax output does it bypass the internal DAC in the DVD and just send the digital signal for the 950 to decode?

Thanks.

#8017 - 02/20/04 09:23 AM Re: DVD coax output question...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
By all means use the digital coax output of your DVD player for the sound - this is the preferred connection (along with optical digital out if your DVD player has it). This cable does not carry picture.

Use the S-video for the video unless your TV and DVD player have component video outputs and inputs(there are three RCSs used for this connection). The component output is of slightly higher quality, but the S-video is way better than the composite video connection.

#8018 - 02/20/04 09:28 AM Re: DVD coax output question...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
- Use the s-video for picture, assuming that's the best video input on your TV (this is what I'm doing, since my TV doesn't have a component video input). Do not use the stereo RCA's for audio (see my next comment).

- The digital output is audio only. You will definitely want to use the digital coax output to connect your DVD player to the 950 (or to any Dolby Digital/DTS pre/pro or receiver). The Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks on a DVD player are discrete 5.1 tracks that are output digitally through coaxial or optical digital outputs. Some DVD players include their own Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, which produce six analog audio outputs, but the 950's decoders and digital processing (bass management; Dolby EX, DTS ES, and CES 6.1/7.1 modes; etc) is still preferable to using a player's DD/DTS decoder.

- The digital audio output does bypass the DVD player's DAC. It is a direct data transfer from disc out to the 950.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#8019 - 02/20/04 03:45 PM Re: DVD coax output question...
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
[B- The digital audio output does bypass the DVD player's DAC. It is a direct data transfer from disc out to the 950.

[/B]

...This is also why a cheap dvd player can make a good sounding cd player if you've got good a good external dac (like the 950)

#8020 - 02/20/04 05:24 PM Re: DVD coax output question...
NYC-EMT Offline
Gunslinger

This clears up problem #2 in regards to savings. My Adcom 5-changer CD-player just broke. The shop said it was the DAC and probably not worth replacing since they can only replace it with the original 16bit one from Adcom.

Now if I get an Outlaw 950 I can use the digital coax out from my DVD for good sound, s-video for picture, and use the digital coax out from my Adcom CD changer for music CD's and not have to purchase a new cd player or give up the functinallity of the changer by using the DVD as a music cd player.

Thanks for all of your time and answers!

#8021 - 02/20/04 05:36 PM Re: DVD coax output question...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You've got it. I believe you'll really enjoy the 950 if you do get one.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#8022 - 05/13/04 06:17 PM Re: DVD coax output question...
John C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Quote:
Originally posted by NYC-EMT:
This clears up problem #2 in regards to savings. My Adcom 5-changer CD-player just broke. The shop said it was the DAC and probably not worth replacing since they can only replace it with the original 16bit one from Adcom.

That 16bit DAC in the Adcom might not seem high-tech, but it has very good sound quality. My GCD600 just died, and it seems to be the microprocessor.I am heartbroken over this, as I run it through the 950 using analog bypass and the sound is outstanding.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts