Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7943 - 12/23/03 10:46 AM Sound distortion
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
It’s been over a month since I bought my 950, 7100 and Panamax power conditioner and I’ve been happy with them except for one thing. After an hour or so of playing CD or DVD, I start to notice distortion on high frequency sound. Kind of static sound mixed in during high pitch vocal, violin or flute. Not only that, normal voice sounds muffled. Anybody know what may be causing this problem?

#7944 - 12/23/03 06:47 PM Re: Sound distortion
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
I have no suggestions at this time. Do any of your components seem fairly hot when this starts to happen? I can't imagine there being a problem after an hour without something changing.

------------------
Stott

#7945 - 12/23/03 07:16 PM Re: Sound distortion
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

The amp gets warm but not hot.

#7946 - 12/23/03 10:20 PM Re: Sound distortion
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I would suggest you call Outlaw about it.

#7947 - 12/23/03 11:52 PM Re: Sound distortion
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I had a similar problem with a center channel speaker many years ago. Turned out to be a bum tweeter that acted up after watching a movie for a while. Never noticed it with music since it wasn't playing or normal TV watching because the volume was always lower. Maybe next time it happens immediately run the calibration tones and see if a specific channel is causing the problem or if it's all channels. I would think the pink noise and a RS meter could tell you if a certain channel is having a problem. If it turns out to be a single channel at least you have a place to start.

#7948 - 12/24/03 09:39 AM Re: Sound distortion
Embries Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nashville, TN
I was going to suggest a similar idea, keta. It sounds to me like you have a speaker overheat issue. It is somewhat common for fluid-surrounded speakers to have issues with heat. But the previous suggestion should get you started on locating the problem. When you notice the problem head for the test tones and spl meter.

[This message has been edited by Embries (edited December 24, 2003).]

#7949 - 01/02/04 12:31 AM Re: Sound distortion
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

I’m posting this for those who may run into this problem in the future. It seems like the problem was the heat inside the cabinet, not the speakers. I spoke to Scott at Outlaw and he suggested doing some rearrangement. I used to have 950 sitting on a shelf about 2 inches above 7100. On top of 950 there was only about a half inch of air space. I guess the heat generated from the processor combined with the amp heat coming from below made the system sound like radio station on a weak signal (static) after an hour of use. Is this what heat does to separates / receivers? If I shut it off and let it cool down, the sound goes back to normal when using again.

Since then, I’ve rearranged my cabinet so that 950 and 7100 are now sitting side by side with 3 inches of air space above both of them and it seems to have solved the problem. Like someone in the saloon said, ventilation is good. More the better? For that matter, is anyone familiar with this turbine fan? http://shop.store.yahoo.com/efunctional/liatbfan.html
Or have any recommendations for quiet and economical ventilation fan for A/V cabinets?

Thanks.

#7950 - 01/02/04 07:14 AM Re: Sound distortion
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
This company has some nice products for cooling your HT gear.www.activethermal.com. Have a look and tell me what you think Hope this helps.

Lasher

#7951 - 01/02/04 02:56 PM Re: Sound distortion
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Spiker, I have not experienced the "static" problem probably due to my cabinet arrangement and ventilation, but I want to thank you for letting us know the problem and its solution. So many times I read in these threads about problems arising but never hear from the Gunslinger again as to its resolution. So I just wanted to thank you and encourage others to let us know if and how your problems have been resolved.

#7952 - 01/02/04 08:18 PM Re: Sound distortion
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Lasher. That’s just what I was looking for.

Alejate, I’ve learned so much from other gunslingers, at least I should contribute some. I think more thanks should go to those who contributed so much more than I did, gonk, soundhound and charlie just to name a few. Speaking of soundhound, I wonder if he is willing to share information on his homemade tube preamp http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000817.html like he did with his DIY IC cable…

[This message has been edited by Spiker (edited January 02, 2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts