Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7855 - 11/14/03 02:31 PM 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Connecticut
Calling all 950/755/Definitive Technology owners...

As a new 950 owner I'm starting to wonder what a 755 will do for my current system in terms of sound improvements. Current set up includes:

950 Pre/Pro
Pioneer ELITE VSX-21 (85x5 for power only)
Panasonic RP91
Fronts = Def Tech BP2006TL's
Center = Def Tech CLR2300
Rears = Def Tech BPX's (just ordered them)

Can I expect huge differences if I mate my 950 with a 755 v.s. the current power my Pioneer receiver is providing?

Any and all comments on this subject are very much appreciated....

#7856 - 11/14/03 03:54 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
I have a pair of old Def Techs.....
Wow...! Set the wayback machine.......
I have a pair of the original BP 2000s up front, with a C/L/R 2000 center channel.....
Just keep getting better and better every year........
Just recently got the 950/755 combo, and I am really, really happy with the combo, and love the amp. Our speakers CRAVE power, so, without a doubt you will notice HUGE improvements with the Outlaw amp....they will love the 200 watts per channel....
You gotta go separates all the way now......especially with the quality/price you get from Outlaw.
I say...HUGE SONIC DIFFERENCES!!!!
Gotta go for it...no questions asked......
You will be extemely happy you did...and your speakers will thank you in wonderful ways.......

#7857 - 11/14/03 05:17 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

daddy-guy...Just what I was hoping to hear from a fellow Def Tech owner. 755 seems like a no-brainer for me now. It will painful over the next few months to have to settle with 85x5 with my Pioneer receiver providing the power but no chioce...

I was even thinking long term I could throw a second pair of BPX's on my rear wall and pick up 2 Model 200's to power the 2006's up front and use the 755 for everything else. Would be a 7.1 dream system for me.

Next big decision is deciding between an SVS Sub or the 755 when I have the $$$$.

#7858 - 11/14/03 05:35 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

One more thing while we are at it, and talking about Def Techs.....do you use the speakers wired direct, or use the subwoofer "full range low level input" by splitting FL/FR output with a "Y", using a subwoofer cable going to the speakers subwoofer inputs and the other cable going to power amp for FL/FR........or,..... do you use the Sub. output split with a "Y" going to both subwoofer inputs???? (Stereo or mono subwoofers???)
Am I making sense??? Just love to find out what other Def Tech users do with all the wiring options available.........

#7859 - 11/14/03 05:45 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
arica9 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bethel, CT, USA
After talking with Def Tech (about too much power for the surrounds) and others in these forums I am running the 950/755 with so much pleasure. I use 3 2300CLR's across the front due to built-in cabinet situation and BPx surrounds. These speakers thank me everyday for the extra power. I am wondering from anyone if you think I will hear/feel a great difference with a separate sub since I now only use the subs in the 2300's all set to "large"?

#7860 - 11/15/03 10:06 AM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

I think you have an interesting set up........3 smallish (8 inch?) subwoofers up front....Wow!!!!
Must sound pretty good already.......
but,
Sounds like you need an LFM-1, or a little bigger subwoofer to really "move some air"...so to speak...... I wouldn't be afraid to look into a bigger sub....I am looking at the LFM-1 ( as a third subwoofer...probably rear subwoofer..) ...
I like what I see so far from the newsletter........and a reasonable price too ..(of course)
Gotta read the manual later today.....
More power is certainly good....
More speaker is good too........

#7861 - 11/15/03 11:36 AM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

I have my BP2006Tl's & CLR2300 all hooked up directly with a straight feed from my amp (which is currently a Pioneer ELITE receiver). I am not utlizing the LFE inputs at all. I have my 2006's set to LARGE and the CLR 2300 set to SMALL crossed @ 60HZ. BPX's will arrive soon and I will set them to SMALL and look to cross them @ 60Hz.

arica9...I think you will notice some significant differences if you hook up a seperate sub. I totally agree with daddy_guy.

I used to have a Velodyne SPL-1000 in my set up....recently sold it. I am missing the LFE punch that a seperate sub can provide. If you do go for a sub...then I would consider setting all your CLR2300's to SMALL and cross them all over @ 60Hz on your 950. I'm looking at SVS subs since I am also in the market for one too. Our HT room is big enough where we may need 2 subs.

I assume your BPX's are set to SMALL and that you are crossing them over @ 60Hz or maybe 80Hz? Let me know since I'll have mine soon enough.

#7862 - 11/15/03 03:20 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
arica9 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bethel, CT, USA
I really knew the answer all along....more speakers are almost always good and though I'm very happy with the fullness of the sound the 3 2300's provide I would like more depth and more "air" from the lower end. So a subs on the not too distant horizon. And "low" and behold todays newsletter (finally) with something to sink our teeth into about the LFM-1. As I expect a lot for the price. I'm comparing it to the def tech supercubes. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah the surrounds are crossed at 60 and sound great. But experimentation in the room always gets the best result.

#7863 - 11/16/03 08:26 AM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Funny, I have never tried my Def Techs wired direct. When I bought them way back, the Salesman said I should use the Subwoofer input, with a "Y" connector (probably just to get a sale on Subwoofer cables.....)!
Anyway, I have chatted with Mr. Pelkowski at Def Tech many times over the years about my speakers, and he has always recommended to set them up using the Subwoofer input. The one thing I have wanted to do is bi-amp the mids and highs, which is what Mr Pelkowski recommends....if you have enough power...like I said, these puppys LOVE power.....(actually he has always recommended I Bi-wire these speakers, using the Sub. input....)
Haven't tried that.....Bi-wiring always sounded funny to me, but I am still gonna try it someday.......
you should try the Sub. input..........works great for my old guys.......Analysis Plus makes a good subwoofer cable, but I see Outlaw now has one too.....and I bet it is gonna be worth every penny...

#7864 - 11/17/03 06:56 AM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

I've never even experimented with my Def Techs in terms of alternative wiring. Now I'm thinking I need to...just so I can say I did.

As far as Def Tech Supercubes go...they are all more expensive than the LFN-1...with the Reference Series up near $1500.00. While deciding between BPX's and BPXV's I got to hear the Reference Cube and it is frightening...they say it can get down to 13Hz (yikes). It may be on my list to compare to an SVS CS-Ultra sub but since both are over $1,000.00 it may not happen so soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM