Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7271 - 02/17/03 10:50 AM Paradigm...
steveko23 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Well, I went and auditioned some speakers this weekend and I believe I have narrowed my list down to 2. Paradigm Studio/100's or the Klipsch RF-7's. Although, reading about Onix's Rockets is giving me thoughts about perhaps getting those... Anyway my concerns are these...With the Paradigm setup I am not sure what to use are the center and surrounds. I will be playing these at good volumes (read: quite loud at times) and I'm not convinced the studio/cc and studio/adp are going to fit the bill, where I have no concern with the rc-7 and rs-7. So I was wondering about perhaps getting a studio/20 or 40 or 60 for the center and surrounds???

Also power. I keep reading that the Paradigm are power hogs and I'm wondering how the 770 will suffice? Should I bi-wire/bi-amp all the speakers? Thus, needing 2 770s? Or a bunch or 200 monoblocks?

Thanks for the input! I can't wait to get all this stuff. Oh and these will be paried with an SVS sub. Not sure which one yet. Possibly the svs-ultra...

Steve

#7272 - 02/17/03 11:38 AM Re: Paradigm...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would say that you shouldn't worry much about the Studio/CC or ADP -- particularly the CC, which I've been very pleased with. I drive a pair of Studio/60's, a Studio/CC, and Studio/ADP's with a 750 (165W per channel) very comfortably, including a bit of "quite loud" from time to time. I do have the Studio/60's and Studio/CC biwired.

Mine are paired with an SVS 25-31PCi, by the way.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#7273 - 02/17/03 03:03 PM Re: Paradigm...
tx_outlaw Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX, US
If you are still in the "deciding" stages take a look at the Onix Rockets. My auditions included the Studio 100s, and Energy C-9s. I thought the Energy were better overall, but very close to the 100s. Then I tried the Rockets. MUCH BETTER (IMHO). I'm no expert by any means, but the soundstage seemed much more forgiving on the Rockets. Individual instruments also seemed much "cleaner"?, on the Rockets. I have the 750s fronts, 200 (I think?, its the BIG one) center, 300 sides, and 550s rear. Also a plus but not a requirement the Rockets LOOK like a million bucks.

#7274 - 02/17/03 03:28 PM Re: Paradigm...
steveko23 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I have been reading about the Rockets and seem impressed so far....I guess I'm just skeptical about how they could sound better than the Paradigm 100's. I could believe their center and surrounds at sounding better but the 750 compared to the 100's you give the rockets the edge?
I am still in the beginning stages of this hunt and really have no rush to get anything, (although I can't wait to order my 950/770 combo, kinda waiting on the .5m pcs for that though).
So any other main's with great corresponding center/surrounds that have a total $ of $4k or less I'd love to her about.

Steve

#7275 - 02/21/03 11:13 PM Re: Paradigm...
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flower Mound, TX USA
I heard the Paradigm 100's yesterday and compared them to MONITOR Audio Gold which was a richer sound at a higher price. I probably like the 100's better but that is subjective. The rep seemed to be pushing the Monitors.

I then heard the Martin Logans which had a much more detailed sound and different sound stage. And of course a bigger price.

In the end the 100's seem wonderful and I don't think I could justify spending more.

The Rockets have been compared favorably to the 100's. The 100's have more bass extension but the reviewed liked Rockets in other areas.

Now there are the REF1 and REF2 to compare which are brighter and more neutral than the lush Rockets.

The RF7's are more dynamic with a bigger sound stage but also brighter and a bit harsh without good amplification and sources. many like tubes for the horns.

I think the new 7100 would be all the power you would need with the Klipsch.

I like the older Klipsch because they are cheaper and many seem to prefer them. I haven't A/B'd them because price was the factor.

#7276 - 04/10/03 05:55 PM Re: Paradigm...
Cowrock Offline
Gunslinger

I had been looking at the Paradigm Studio 100's and was just about to buy them and decided to give JM Lab Cobalt 816's a listen. The JM's where outstanding! So much so that I bought them over the 100's and haven't looked back. They're a wonderfull sounding speaker, very detailed and very neutral. I'm hearing things in songs that I've listened to for years that I've never heard before. I can't say enough about them. Oh, and they cost $400 less than the 100's

Gaz

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts