Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7305 - 02/26/03 04:14 PM B&W ASW300 Subwoofer
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Does any own this sub? Or have auditioned it before? It too new so I can't seem to find and reviews online. I would appreciate it if anyone could give their thoughts on it. Thanks!

#7306 - 02/28/03 03:29 PM Re: B&W ASW300 Subwoofer
Joshorr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA
I disclaim this as hear-say but many have said that B & W subs are at least decent if not very good but rank a bit low in the value department. I stress this is about the subs and not the regular speakers (I am a proud and happy owner of some 604's and 602's). I am sure a trip to your dealer will help to confirm or disprove my statement in your eyes.

#7307 - 02/28/03 09:44 PM Re: B&W ASW300 Subwoofer
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Yeah, That's what I heard about B&W Subs too. But I also heard that their new line of subs are a huge improvement over the old ones. I guess I'll have to go to a dealer and audtion one myself. But they look so nice compared to other woofers. Can anyone recomend me a small sub for under 400?

#7308 - 03/04/03 07:06 PM Re: B&W ASW300 Subwoofer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hard to find good subs for 400 unless you hook up with Adire Audio's Shiva. Forget all the commercial stuff unless you spend over 1K. I've been using Shiva for 6 months and I couldn't be happier after spending about $400. It is both musical and dynamic (for home theater). I built my own enclosure which saved some money but you can find pre-finished enclosures at reasonable prices. Look up acoustic-visions.com. They have the price range you are looking for. Also, see the reviews on this at audioreview.com

#7309 - 03/30/03 03:52 PM Re: B&W ASW300 Subwoofer
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Sorry to join the topic a little late but I don't get nearly as much time to log on as I'd like.

Being from North of the 49th I admit a bias here, but for the money (at almost any reasonable price point) you really can't beat made-in-Canada speakers. So if I were buying a sub new, I'd look for Paradigm, Mirage, Energy, psb, etc, especially at the lower price points.

That being said, I'm also very impressed with just about anything that Definitive Technologies has done. They'd get serious consideration at mid- to mid-high price levels.

And when the cost starts to get up into the high levels, top-of-the-line Velodynes are hard to beat.

As to the original question, I've not heard the B&W ASW300s but I bought a used (2-3 year old) ASW1000 on Boxing Day and it is a very good performer. In fact I use it in my main theatre with a 12 year old Velodyne Servo 1200, and a passive home-built (using Polk drivers) and while the Velodyne goes much lower, on most material at reasonable (but realistic) levels, the B&W holds its own.

Both the Velodyne and the B&W would probably be a bit too pricey new, but at $300CDN (~$200US) and $325CDN respectively used, I count them as two of the best value buys that I have ever come across. More so since both were bought from terrific local speacialty shops that had taken them in on trade - and gave a 90 day warranty on them as well.

If you ever get the chance to be in Ottawa for boxing day sales, you will find some incredible deals (on more than just speakers) at any one of Stereo Plus, Audio Centre, and Audio Shop. In fact there's great deals to be had all year long. (My only vested interest is that I buy gear from all three.)

Jeff

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM