Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7225 - 02/04/03 08:40 AM Earthquake vs. Velodyne subs
steveko23 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I'm looking to get a sub and like everything else I "must have" the baddest of the bad, biggest of the big. Anyway, I'm thinking about either the Earthquake MKIV-15 or the Velodyne HGS-15. Anyone have any input on either of these or possible a beast of a sub I'm missing out on?

Thanks!
Steve

#7226 - 02/04/03 12:01 PM Re: Earthquake vs. Velodyne subs
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I don't have either of the listed subs, but I do have a 15" Tempest diy. Previously I had a 12" Sony. I would definitely stay on the track of a 15"; way more oomph at the bottom end compared to a 12". I'm loving my Tempest.
cheers

#7227 - 02/05/03 11:08 AM Re: Earthquake vs. Velodyne subs
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
I have the HGS-II 18". It can rattle the stuff inside the walls (literally) and I get the feeling its not even trying. Its in an average size room (about 16x15 with 10' ceiling in a pretty open floorplan. Connectivity is good, with both XLR, RCA and spkr level ins. Of course with a 950, you plug it into the RCA, disable the filter and set it for auto on. I haven't had any trouble with the auto on feature turning off during use. It's got a pretty long timeout. You can always force it to manual on/off. It's got a remote.

The bass is quite clean. I really haven't heard any signs of harmonics, which for a sub is really bad. (You can hear the harmonics while you sort of only sense the really low stuff)

I've had it for about 9 months now with no problems. I'd search ebay for a reseller. These things can be had for about 70% of list or less.

Mike

#7228 - 02/05/03 12:27 PM Re: Earthquake vs. Velodyne subs
steveko23 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Thanks for the info. I've also recently discovered the HSU VTF-3. It's smaller (and less expensive) but it seems to be getting high praise as I guess it packs quite a punch.

#7229 - 02/05/03 04:26 PM Re: Earthquake vs. Velodyne subs
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
I have the Infrasub-18 from Bag End. It is an 18-inch speaker with a 400-watt power supply. At -3dB it is rated to 8HZ. I bought it from Full Compass, a mail order - internet company. Got a good price, and, with a 104-pound weight, shipping to my front door was a plus.

It makes the plumbing in the upstairs bathroom rattle - I love it and would buy it all aver again!

#7230 - 02/06/03 01:06 PM Re: Earthquake vs. Velodyne subs
JasonA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Marion, Iowa
Do you have any woodworking skills (at all)? If so, I would STRONGLY recommend attempting to build one yourself. Even if you don't have much in the way of mechanical abilities, there are quite a few subwoofer kits on the market these days with everything you would need. You would probably just need to install a few screws.

Check out http://www.adireaudio.com/ http://store.stryke.com/ and http://www.partsexpress.com for some possibilities.

Jason

#7231 - 02/20/03 10:36 PM Re: Earthquake vs. Velodyne subs
Cliffy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: La Habra Hts., CA, USA
Go with the Velodyne. I've got an old FSR18 and you can't go wrong. The flat response and near total lack of distortion is seriously addicting. My only complaint is that they cost so much, but they definitely justify it with performance.
The HGS is a great design. A friend of mine did a large part of the design on the HGS and his sample at home sounds great too.
Take the time to hear one. You won't regret it.

SLT

#7232 - 02/23/03 11:27 AM Re: Earthquake vs. Velodyne subs
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
kinda depends on your system's size...and your budget. you can get the lil 10 inch vel,with servo contrl, for $599 most places. i have a mirage dual 10 tht was close to a bargain so i went with that. it also has servo and it's prettier..piano gloss w/ outboard xovr (which i retired when i got the 950). the HSU is raved about everywhere..but haven't got one. i have something similar to a HSU in my van. it rocks. M & K make some really really good stuff...how much $ do you want to spend? what are your mains & how big is the room?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 153 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts