Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#88943 - 01/05/12 01:23 PM Aperion Speakers
EEman Offline
Desperado

Loc: Canton, MI
Just ordered a pair of Aperion Verus Grand bookshelf speakers. I'll break them in and then post my thoughts.

If anyone has any experience with these speakers, specifically how they match up against the Outlaw bookshelves I'd like to hear it. I'm still somewhat metally kicking myself for not jumping on the Black Friday speaker sale.
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

#88964 - 01/06/12 08:56 PM Re: Aperion Speakers [Re: EEman]
Alexandru Mihaita Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, PA
Quote:
I'll break them in and then post my thoughts

Break them in?!
Isn't this something only the "audiophools" in the link you posted about do? wink

#88970 - 01/07/12 10:30 AM Re: Aperion Speakers [Re: Alexandru Mihaita]
legivens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Euless, Texas, USA
I've thought for a long time that amps and speakers go through a break in period, but I may be horribly misguided. LOL But, I don't have the technical expertise in that field to know that. Just a misguided enthusiast... :-)
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One

#88974 - 01/07/12 04:01 PM Re: Aperion Speakers [Re: Alexandru Mihaita]
EEman Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: Alexandru Mihaita
Quote:
I'll break them in and then post my thoughts

Break them in?!
Isn't this something only the "audiophools" in the link you posted about do? wink

LOL. I will admit that I will occassionaly dip below the line and stop thinking like an engineer. HOWEVER in this case I will state that I am following the manufacturer's recomendation to "break-in" the speakers for 40 hours. Will I heard a difference between "new" and "broken-in"? Don't know, but I intend to find out.

legivens,
As far a breaking in solid state electronics: No. You may hear of a burn-in period but this is an attempt to find the early failures and won't have an effect on sound.

#88977 - 01/07/12 05:13 PM Re: Aperion Speakers [Re: EEman]
legivens Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Euless, Texas, USA
Thanks..
Outlaw Model 7900
Outlaw Model 5000 (for the ceiling speakers)
Marantz AV7702 MK2
Oppo BDP-105D
Axiom M80's, GoldenEar Super XXL, GoldenEar Aon 3's (sides and rears), GoldenEar HTR 7000's (in-ceiling for Atmos/DTS:X)
Outlaw LFM1-Plus and EX
Directv HD DVR
2 HD Monster Power centers
PS3
Harmony One

#88980 - 01/07/12 06:58 PM Re: Aperion Speakers [Re: legivens]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Aside from the "infant mortality" breakin, since speakers are the mechanical portion of the system and they do produce heat which affects the magnetic properties to which they react, I would expect some sort of breakin but I would think an hour at a substantial volume level would be sufficient. Manufacturers like a slow long breakin so that you have time to get used to the sound and will be able to recognize deteriorating conditions before causing damage to the motors.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#89125 - 01/16/12 09:38 AM Re: Aperion Speakers [Re: XenonMan]
EEman Offline
Desperado

First Impressions (Part 1):
Received my speakers, uncrated them, admired the fit and finish for a while then plugged them in to my system.

Bzzzzzzzzz. The tweeter on the right speaker buzzed almost continuously when hit with a Beethoven piano sonata. One of the binding posts (The mid driver) was also stripped and couldn't be tightened. Bummer.

Called customer service and 5 minutes later had an RMA and a new speaker on the way. They do, however ship by FedEx ground so it'll take a few days to make the trip from the west coast.

Disclaimer: At the last minute an open box (B-stock) unit became available so I cheaped out and changed my order to that. Might have been burned by that decision by I would have thought the B-stock units would have been checked out before they were shipped.

#89206 - 01/25/12 03:47 PM Re: Aperion Speakers [Re: EEman]
EEman Offline
Desperado

First Impressions (Part 2):
Have two working speakers now, all cabled and tuned up. In a word: Wow.

Negatives first.
1. They do lack a little in bass, but then again, they are bookshelf speakers and I fully expected to need some help for the subwoofer. I crossed them over at 60 Hz and 80Hz and they were equally happy.
2. They are quite a bit less sensitive than the EPIs they are replacing. However the 7075 still has ample power to drive them beyond what I consider a comfortable listening volume.

Positives.
1. They sound great. Go read the pro reviews if you want the fancy words. To me the music just sounds like it's right there in the middle of my head and you can point to exactly where it's coming from. Stereo listening has become fun again.
2. Aperion has a one year, full price trade-up policy. If I want to upgrade to the towers I get full purchase price of the bookshelves on the trade-in. Gotta like that. For now, they'll be staying right where they are, although I would like to do an A/B comparison against the Outlaw bookselves...
LG 65" OLED
RR2150 w/Klipsch SCR-2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts