Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8571 - 01/02/05 02:12 AM Help with Center Channel Speaker...
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
...going with Klipsch speakers for my HT...should I get the "matching" center channel or buy 1 of the mains for use as a center? Sorry about the "green" question but this was all MUCH easier when I only had to pick 2 front speakers. :p laugh
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#8572 - 01/02/05 11:11 AM Re: Help with Center Channel Speaker...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Using a third main as a center is sonically the "best" approach - truly matchingdrivers. Unfortunately, a third main speaker often does not mesh well with the display. They also may not be available as shielded speakers, which is essential for some displays (direct view sets, primarily). For those two reasons, a matching center (such as the Synergy C-3 in your case) is a much easier approach.

#8573 - 01/02/05 12:07 PM Re: Help with Center Channel Speaker...
silversport Offline
Desperado

gonk:
Is there ANYTHING you don't know oh kind and benevolent Wizard??? "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
I thought that the C-3 center channel was DESIGNED as the center channel to be a "perfect match" for the F-3 Synergy system and I see that its a bit smaller and designed a little different to go on top of a television or such, just wondered if the "better idea" was to get the F-3 when it is a bit cheaper if they will sell me 1...I believe it is shielded but I will check that as well!

Thanks,
Bill

#8574 - 01/02/05 01:18 PM Re: Help with Center Channel Speaker...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'd probably go with the C-3 in your case - unless you had a front projection system with a projection screen that is acoustically permeable (designed to allow a speaker behind it fire through the screen without affecting the sound). Rear projection or direct view displays are going to be better suited to a purpose-built center channel, and the only difference between the F-3 and C-3 seems to be cabinet size - the C-3, having a smaller cabinet, doesn't have the same low frequency extension, but otherwise should match up just fine. Set the center crossover a bit higher than the mains' crossover and let the LFM-1 do its thing.

#8575 - 01/02/05 02:08 PM Re: Help with Center Channel Speaker...
silversport Offline
Desperado

gonk:
...thanks...that seems to be the ticket, then...F3 mains, C3 center and S3 surrounds with an LFM-1 sub...

Bill

#8576 - 01/04/05 02:21 PM Re: Help with Center Channel Speaker...
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
First off, I do believe that Gonk is a Computer Server sitting somewhere next to an Outlaw execs desk, because no human being can hit so many places and be correct so many times and hold down a job in the real world. laugh wink laugh

With that tid bit of humor shared, it comes as no surprise that he is right. You always go with matching speakers when dealing with midrange and treble so that you match transients and have a seamless presentation without colorations from different driver types.

Identical L-C-R is ideal, but in the real world you really need to get a dedicated center specifically engineered by the same manufacturer to match your mains, same goes with surrounds.

With Bass it does not matter if you go with the same manufacturer or not, just find the tightest, lowest pant flapping sub within your budget. wink

#8577 - 01/04/05 04:14 PM Re: Help with Center Channel Speaker...
silversport Offline
Desperado

Now to throw a wrench into the mix...I fell into Klipsch Heresys yesterday (1978 vintage, very clean) and will be changing to possibly the KLF-C7 for a center (since academys are like hens teeth and 1 Heresy of similar vintage will be difficult as well, I think!) with possible KSF-S5 surrounds or a KSP-S6...would be GREAT to find another set of Heresys in great shape for another great price (how MANY times can he say GREAT???) but I'm dreaming again.
Bill

#8578 - 01/05/05 01:49 PM Re: Help with Center Channel Speaker...
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
Yikes eek , I'm sure those speakers sound great with music, but matching a center channel and surrounds to them is going to be a b!@ch. Klipsch used very different materials in their speaker drivers of that era than they do today. The only thing that stayed constant is their Tractrix horn tweeter, which even then they have modified over the years.

I have been through this scenario before myself and I do not know if you really want to take this path. I own a pair of Infinity Kappa 5 speakers from the late 80'S. I decided to search for for a pair of Kappa 8's or 7's to use for left and right and another 5 set on its side as a center because I love the OLD 80'S INFINITY sound. This proved to be time consuming, disappointing, expensive and nearly impossible.

In the end after wasting 4 months of combing the classifieds and e-bay for someone selling a pair close enough to my proximity to pick up, Kappa 7's and up weigh 90 lbs+ each, and in acceptable condition, I settled on my current Mission M series set up for the home theatre and use my Kappa's with a sub for my listening/bed room.

If you want to do this, then call Klipsch's technical department and throw this scenario to them and ask what center channel and surrounds/bookshelf speaker model EVER produced by them would best match these speakers and then search the classifieds and e-bay for the match.

If they tell you some current model, they are just trying to sell you speakers and at that point you should find the earliest vintage speakers available to match.

You definitely have your work cut out for you. wink

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts