Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8023 - 02/20/04 10:56 AM Center speaker placement
MurphyMan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: tampa
Okay- so I screwed up. I forgot to leave room behind the screen for a center channel.
SO- with my 7.1 speaker placement soon to become an issue- I am probably resigned to placing the center channel down in front of the screen. The question: Is it appropriate to "angle" the center UP to the seating area?If so- do I need a platform for height? Can't find this addressed anywhere. BTW- I have the M&K 150 's
Tanx

#8024 - 02/20/04 11:26 AM Re: Center speaker placement
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Yes.

Gee. That was easy.

If you have the 150 with the square baffle, you can either slip something under the front edge of the speaker to angle it up and, thereby, put your tweeter more on-axis with your listening position, or buy a speaker stand to get it off the floor -- advisable -- and angled up.

If you have a 150 with an angled baffle, just position it so that the baffle is angled up. However, it is still worthwhile getting it off the floor.

#8025 - 02/20/04 05:12 PM Re: Center speaker placement
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

While you don't mention it, my guess is that you are looking to place the speakers below the screen because there is no space above? If you have the choice you may want to consider placing them above - from where there is usually a "cleaner" line-of-sight to the listener. I've suspended my centre channel speakers, on a custom-built frame, from the ceiling, above my HDTV, and angled down towards the listening positions. They sound great that way.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#8026 - 02/20/04 11:09 PM Re: Center speaker placement
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
I've suspended my centre channel speakers, on a custom-built frame, from the ceiling, above my HDTV, and angled down towards the listening positions. They sound great that way.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

Sounds interesting, got any pics you'd like to share?

------------------
Tekdredger

#8027 - 02/23/04 09:53 AM Re: Center speaker placement
MurphyMan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: tampa
Over vs. Under?
I'm not ashamed of my speaker "looks" (M&K 150's), but is there a real difference if I use an angled center on the floor? Just one less thing to deal with.The glory is: at this point in construction, I can do anything-everything is "structured" wiring anyhow.

#8028 - 02/23/04 01:22 PM Re: Center speaker placement
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

tekdredger,

I intend to put some photos together and post links to them in the system saloon in the not-too-distant future. I'm in the process of adding two more amps to my system, and have one sub in the shop, and once that's done I should be ready to post pics and a description.

For now if you'd like a shot or two of the centre channel set-up (two Koss CM1020's lined up top to top above an HD monitor - 120 lbs and 66" of speaker) post an email address and I'll send them to you.

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

ps. Dumb question of the day: how do you post actual photos in one of these replies? I've seen some good examples (like Soundhound's DIY interconnects thread) but can't figure it out for myself.

#8029 - 02/23/04 01:32 PM Re: Center speaker placement
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
ps. Dumb question of the day: how do you post actual photos in one of these replies? I've seen some good examples (like Soundhound's DIY interconnects thread) but can't figure it out for myself.

You've got to have the file hosted somewhere on the net, and you need the URL to the image. Once you have that, you need to put the URL between [ IMG ] and [ /IMG ] tags (spaces added inside the brackets to allow the tags to be visible). I tried re-posting my example from the Saloon Links page's posting tricks section, but a bunch of it disappeared along the way.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited February 23, 2004).]

#8030 - 02/23/04 01:39 PM Re: Center speaker placement
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Floor or ceiling really doesn't make much difference as long as there aren't undesirable first reflection issues from either surface (that's why I earlier recommended getting the speaker off the floor.) Tilting the speaker toward the listening position should deal with that issue effectively enough.

I've had both situations. My current center channel speaker is a little bigger than I cared to hang from the ceiling (too lazy) so I have it below the screen.

The ceiling advantage is that the piece isn't underfoot where children or pets can get to it. Fortunately, I only have a cat and I can slap her away from the speaker once in awhile without children's services showing up to cart me away to jail. ;-)

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited February 23, 2004).]

#8031 - 02/23/04 04:14 PM Re: Center speaker placement
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Thanks Gonk. Makes perfect sense.

Jeff Mackwood

#8032 - 02/23/04 04:20 PM Re: Center speaker placement
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
No problem.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts