950 Pre/Pro
Outlaw 7100 Amp for surrounds and center
Krell KAV-250 driving main speakers

[This message has been edited by Signal_20 (edited June 04, 2004).]

#8277 - 06/03/04 08:17 AM Re: My System
shawnb16 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Haven, CT
Nice set up Signal_20. The only thing that jumps out at me is how does the BIC center keep up with the Legacy's? I must admit that I'm not all that familar with the DV62CLRS I would just think that it would throw off the balance of you front soundstage? Keep crankin' it !!

#8278 - 06/03/04 04:48 PM Re: My System
Signal_20 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Orlando, Florida
It does ok but the BIC was really bought to use until I can get a better one without going broke. Any suggestions would be appreciated if you know of one that does good without breaking the bank. It is my weakest link right now for sure. The Legacy centers are just too expensive or I would have on of those for sure.

#8279 - 06/04/04 12:59 AM Re: My System
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
you like having different speakers when watching dvds?

------------------

This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#8280 - 06/04/04 08:01 AM Re: My System
Signal_20 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well you lost me with that one?

"you like having different speakers when watching dvds?"

#8281 - 06/04/04 08:18 AM Re: My System
shawnb16 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Haven, CT
I think what curegeorg was alluding to was tonal balance, speakers that are the same or at least are from the same company and share the same tonal qualities so that as a sound moves around the room it's not changing it's tonal quality from speaker to speaker. (if that's not right be sure to let me know curegeorg)For instance all 7 of my speakers are Boston Acoustics, VRM-50's mains, VR-12 center, VRS Pro side surrounds and Micro 90's for back surround.
As for an upgrade from your BIC center, that's a tough question. What you really need is a local dealer who will let you take home different center speakers and auditon them with the Legacy's. I would try the lower end B&W's they are great speakers and more reasonable than you think, I also think that they would be a pretty good match with the Legacy's. Good luck and happy shopping.

[This message has been edited by shawnb16 (edited June 04, 2004).]

#8282 - 06/04/04 01:00 PM Re: My System
Signal_20 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I wish I would have had the money to plunk down for all matching speakers and components at the same time but I am sure I am like a lot of people who had to pick their system up a piece or two at a time. I would love to have matching Legacy surrounds to but sometimes finances dictate what you can or can't do. I just went from a receiver/processsor to the 950/7100 combo so that was my big expendature for this month. I am getting it one step at a time.

------------------
Jim - Signal_20

#8283 - 06/04/04 02:45 PM Re: My System
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Good speakers should last for years and still be available for new purchase. You don't have to buy them all at once to have a matching set. But you really do want to have them timbre matched so that the sound stays the same while it travels from speaker to speaker.

#8284 - 06/04/04 03:11 PM Re: My System
Signal_20 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well at least I got a good pre/pro, I think! lol

------------------
Jim - Signal_20

#8285 - 06/04/04 03:13 PM Re: My System
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i was talking about what shawn said. i too did not have the money to buy everything at once. i bought my mains, then a couple of years later bought my center and surrounds, then later (not long) added a sub, then i added some more subs :-). however i got all the same brand of speakers (not sub, which is not dependent on brand similarities) and from the same line. this was over years. so as jt said, you can pick up one part of a system and then later add the other parts because speakers do not change very quickly. granted sometimes, a line will disappear or be significantly changed, but generally speaking a line of speakers has a pretty long longetivity and if an improvement is made that is drastic it will be released in a differnt line all together, with the original still being produced. i will say that by the time i added my center and surrounds, they were being discontinued. and now while there is a similar line that im sure would complement my setup, there is not an exact match for what would be my 6th and 7th channels so i have been hesitant to get them. however, the relationship between the center and fronts is most important, because most of the sound comes from them so you would be able to tell more differences if they were different. surrounds are effects which tend not to suffer from being a little different than the fronts.

the tonal qualities of different kinds of tweeters is why it is typical to stick with the same brand and line of speakers. however while this assures even sound (timbre matched as well), it can be achieved by other means.

------------------

This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts