Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#78581 - 09/07/06 05:08 PM Speaker advise?
pschwartz Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dallas, TX
Hello outlaws,
I was thinking of becoming an outlaw myself. I'm definitely looking into getting a couple of LFM1+ subs, and possibly a 7125. I will be using a Pioneer Elite vsx84txsi as a prepro. I was looking for some speaker suggestions. I've been looking at Aperion because they look great, and have a good price. Is there anyone in the forum with a similar combination that may be able to give some insight on how well everything blends?

#78582 - 09/18/06 03:00 PM Re: Speaker advise?
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
As to Aperion, I have not heard them or remember reading any feedback from users among my Internet surfing. I can tell you that a lot of people are happy with Axiom's product line.

But I would hesitate to make a specific recommmendation without first knowing a bit more about your requirements, such as...

Will you be using the system for two-channel stereo, or is this a dedicated home theater?
Are you talking front speakers or the whole shebang?
Do you have any problems/issues related to space, placement, WAF (wife acceptance factor)
What is your budget?
How important are aesthetics?
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#78583 - 09/20/06 02:57 PM Re: Speaker advise?
pschwartz Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the reply Videodrome. It is a full 7.2 set up, although my wife and I do listen to two channel music once in a while. I guess the room is a medium to large size, about 18x26 with 10ft ceiling. It is open to a kitchen on the right side. Aesthentics are important to us. My budget is probably around 3k for speakers only, excluding subs. I definitely want to find speakers that have the sense of air and atmospher found in speakers like paradigm and B&Ws. Those brands I have auditioned along with many others and found them to be very realistic.

#78584 - 09/20/06 03:58 PM Re: Speaker advise?
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
If you like B&W, I would recommend taking a look at the Quad L-series. They have that British sound like the B&Ws and are very transparent, almost like the electrostatic speakers to which they owe their linneage.

Do a search for the L-series and you'll find it's a pretty big line up of both floor standing and mini monitors. If you can swing it, the 22Ls ($1,600 MSRP) may be the ticket for your front speakers for that big room. They're also an audiophile's type of speaker, so for 2-channel use, they're going to give you a nice, smooth midrange and holographc imaging.

The Quad L-series also includes center and surround speakers (as well as a matching sub). I have the 11L and just ordered the matching center. Though new and still breaking in, I really love the 11Ls and my wife thinks they're beautiful.

For your system needs, which seem to focus more on multi-channel listening, a set up with speakers from the same manufacturer may offer you a couple of advantages: first, there will be a commom sonic signature to the system that will make the surround envelope more cohesive than what you oftentimes get from a hodge-podge of different speakers (a.k.a. a Frankenstein system).

Second, you can match veneers on all the speakers which will satisfy your aesthetic requirements. The Quads are finished beautifully, I might add. All finishes are true wood veneer (not vinyl covering) and are hand-finished with 7 coats of piano lacquer.

Another product line you may want to look at is Totem. The Rainmaker (~$900 pr.) in particular has gotten some rave reviews and Totem makes matching surround speakers and a sub.

Lastly, if you want some more good British options, take a look at Wharfedale. the Diamond 8- and 9-series are a perennial favorites and won't break the bank.

Don't have much knowledge of the Paradigms. I think Gonk has a pair he's using for his fronts, so maybe he can chime in.

One final recommendation... don't overlook used items on Audiogon.com You can save yourself a lot of money; or pick up something that, when brand new, may otherwise have been out of your budget.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#78585 - 09/20/06 04:54 PM Re: Speaker advise?
pschwartz Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the recomendations!

#78586 - 09/20/06 07:10 PM Re: Speaker advise?
Houghers Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sacramento
I own Paradigms like Gonk. I have the Studio series and I'm fairly happy with them. Good low end, crisp high's, but I feel they lack a little bit in the midrange department.

I recently listened to pair of Onix Rockets at a friend's house. He purchased the RS 760's and the Bigfoot center and I have to admit I was floored. Full midrange, smooth high's (that Vifa tweeter was pretty impressive) and solid, tight bass. I am stronly considering selling my speakers to jump to the Rockets.

You can find them at AV123. Additionally, they have a nice Rosewood finish that is impressive. Like Outlaw, they are an internet direct company and offer a 30 day gaurantee. If money is an issue, these may be worth looking into as well.

As far as the LFM-1+ is concerned, I just traded my Paradigm PW2200 in for the LFM-1+ and will never look back! Outstanding sub for the money. The Paradigm had more presence, but it was too monotone and the auto-sensing circuitry was a bit of a pain. The Outlaw is very controlled and you can easily disseminate bass notes.

Let us know what direction you go in!

#78587 - 09/20/06 09:24 PM Re: Speaker advise?
cpate212 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego
I have an Aperion and Outlaw setup and couldn't be happier. I have Aperion 633T mains, 533VAC center, and 532LR surrounds with an Outlaw LFM1 sub all bieng run by an Outlaw 1070. My room is 12x20 with a 15 to 25 foot vaulted ceiling. I was a brass player (Tuba dont laugh, every kick a** clasical music movie soundtrack always has strong tuba player)all through college so I've been very "picky" about sound quality (especialy when it comes to bass). My system has never disapointed (and I like it loud enough to feel it like a live performance). I would'nt hesitate for a second to recomend Aperion. They always over deliver and are a complete joy to deal with. The same can be said about the Outlaws.

Hope this helps.

#78588 - 10/03/06 02:54 PM Re: Speaker advise?
pschwartz Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. I was doing more auditioning this weekend. There are a few things I'm not to sure about the paradigms, and agree with your observations about the mid range, Houghers. I am going to wait until I get closer to buying time and order Aperion. I have to try them because I loose nothing if I want to send them back. If I don't I'll return them and probably pick up some B&W 600 series. The Outlaw stuff is a for sure thing. I've read about many people comparing them to Rotel, which I've listened to a lot of, and really love.

Thanks again!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts