Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#93987 - 03/04/14 04:28 PM Subwoofer Crawl question
sb100 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

In doing the subwoofer crawl, is it best to move your couch/love seat/chair out of the way and put the sub in that spot, or to put the sub on top of the seat?

If on top of the seat, since my seat is a love seat, it means if I put the sub on top of the cushions, it will sink down into the cushion. Since this is a down firing sub, that would hinder the travel of the speaker. Would turning the sub upside down on the sitting position be advisable? So that the sub is firing up into the air?

Also, I'm using the lfm1 plus in the frequency extension. Is this the common setting or do most people use max output? I use this sub probably about 65% tv/movies and 35% music. I went for max extension for the lower frequency effects in movies, however, in my apartment, i have limited places to put the sub so I feel I may be running into some standing wave issues. I'm thinking of getting a second lfm1 plus to resolve this issue...or...is it possible i have the gain on the sub too low? I use it on a volume setting of 3. I've always been one to not over drive speakers.

I tend to think that turning a volume knob up too far is not a good thing and that if you are not getting the volume you want out of your current avr/amp, rather than turning the volume knob up, try to get a bigger avr/amp.

Having said that, maybe it's possible that im not getting all the bass performance I want because i'm running it too low? Instead of a second sub, maybe I need to turn it up more? What volume setting do most people run this sub at, and, how high can you get it before it becomes harmful to the sub?

Thank you.

Sam

#93989 - 03/04/14 09:42 PM Re: Subwoofer Crawl question [Re: sb100]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
IF you're going to do the crawl, then put your LFM-1 upside down on the couch.

However, you'd probably be better off placing your subwoofer right behind the couch.

Nearfield bass lets you hear more of your sub and less of the room, resulting in tighter/cleaner bass (i.e., fewer peaks & dips at the listening position).

#93992 - 03/07/14 04:21 PM Re: Subwoofer Crawl question [Re: sb100]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
If you turn it upside down be prepared to have the sound deadening stuffing come out the bottom when you put it back. Mine did it just because I turned it on its side to move it around on the carpet. Get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and set the sub on it on the couch right side up. It works great and doesn't mess up the sub.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94008 - 03/16/14 12:18 PM Re: Subwoofer Crawl question [Re: sb100]
sb100 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks folks, ill give the plywood a try.

How about the difference between max output and max extension? Is there any reason to leave it in max extension mode, or does it generally do better in max output? If I go with max output, how much will I miss not being able to play the frequencies below 25Hz?

And also, what is the volume range that this sub safely can handle. As I said previously, I used to run it on about 3, but just moved it to 4..but, how high can it safely go without harming the sub?

You mentioned to place the sub right behind the couch. Does this mean right behind the couch in the middle, or in the corner, and, would it be best to place it behind the couch even if it's not the optimal position as discovered by doing the sub crawl?

#94018 - 03/16/14 09:01 PM Re: Subwoofer Crawl question [Re: sb100]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Max extension will gives you a lower frequency response than max output which will sound slightly louder. It really depend on your room. I run mine in max extension because that is what I got it for. My mains go down to about 35 hz and when I want the room to shake the sub takes over. The volume setting is also purely subjective. If you do the sub crawl correctly and find the sweet spot you will find that you can turn it up somewhat and not get the overpowering subshake effect. Something I did which was really helpful is to use some low frequency test tones and move around the house to see what is rattling about. Most of the time a little repositioning of isolation goes a long way to making the wife happy. I actually rattled a pane of glass out of a window during the Heath Ledger Batman movie. I think what Sdurani was saying is that since the LFE is pretty directionless, you could place the sub behind the couch and not do the subcrawl and it won't matter a lot. If you are closer to the sub than the peak node of the room you won't hear a big delta but something in the room might feel it.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94020 - 03/17/14 06:22 AM Re: Subwoofer Crawl question [Re: sb100]
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Originally Posted By: sb100
You mentioned to place the sub right behind the couch. Does this mean right behind the couch in the middle, or in the corner, and, would it be best to place it behind the couch even if it's not the optimal position as discovered by doing the sub crawl?
Right behind the couch, at the midpoint of room width, would be preferred compared to the corner.

I'm not a fan of the subwoofer crawl, but if you find a location that sounds better than behind the couch, then of course use the placement that sounds better to you.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts