Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#77432 - 05/19/06 12:03 AM 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Carolina
Hey all, I have two questions about the 7700 amp. I think I know the answers but I want to hear from the actual users!

I have the 990 pre/pro, so I will be using the balanced inputs. I also bi-amp my speakers. So, if when using balanced inputs, can the inputs be bridged together? For instance I need channel 1 & 2 for my center channel (1 channel for mids, 1 channel for tweets) and obviously there is only one output cable. I'd like to do this without using some sort of Y adapter. I would also need to do this for the 2 rear speakers. So I need 6 channels of amplification but only 3 input cables.

Also, can the level of each channel be adjusted? I need level adjustment for my tweeter channels.

Thanks!

#77433 - 05/19/06 07:31 AM Re: 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You cannot bridge the channels of the 7700. To bi-amp with two channels of the 7700, you would have to split the output to feed the same signal to two channels. The levels of each channel are also not adjustable.

#77434 - 05/19/06 12:59 PM Re: 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Well darn. I was hoping to get an Outlaw amp but none of them have level controls...that's odd. Level controls are my #1 requirement, I can get around the other stuff..but not having a level control makes bi-amping rather useless to me.

#77435 - 05/19/06 01:05 PM Re: 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Level control is unnecessary in most cases - the processor adjusts the channels. The only case that it comes into play is passive bi-amping (active bi-amping offers an opportunity for level control at the crossover network).

What speakers are you using that you are pushing 400W through each of them? They've got to be something pretty significant.

#77436 - 05/19/06 02:20 PM Re: 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
fm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: CA
You should put active crossovers between the processor and amp. Then you could split out the channel signals so you can have 2 amp channels per audio channel. This will give better control and power.

#77437 - 05/19/06 04:57 PM Re: 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

My speakers are Paradigm Reference Studio's. I have Active 40's for the front so those hook straight to the preamp. The amp would be only for the center and surrounds, plus zone 2. The 7700 is overkill, I know. The 7125 is more what I need but it does not have balanced inputs. That may be a moot point anyway so I still may think about the 7125 if I can't use balanced cables.

An active crossover might be an option, I'll look in to them.

#77438 - 05/19/06 05:38 PM Re: 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Active crossover gets into a serious design issue: replicating the crossover design that the speaker manufacturer worked out. Can you do a better job with your active crossover than the designer did with the internal crossover? And do you want to rip into the cabinet to bypass the original one to get full benefit from the process?

If you have a Studio CC and Studio ADP's, I don't think that bi-amping with two 200W channels is going to perform much (if any) differently than a single 200W channel (either bi-wired or with a good jumper). I can't imagine my Paradigm's benefiting from any additional power, and my Studio/CC and Studio/ADP's are driven by 165W each. You could get a 7500 and drive all three speakers with two channels left over for zone 2 (or a future upgrade to 7.1).

#77439 - 05/19/06 06:58 PM Re: 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

I agree with you on the crossover issue, and I'll add something to those concerns...I don't want to add a crappy looking crossover to my rack.

And the thing is...I looked at some crossovers for less than $100 and my concern is that they will sound like junk and add noise. If I have to spend $500 to get a crossover I would rather just put that money towards a better amp that does exactly what I want.

As far as bi-amping the Studio's, they benefit quite a lot from bi-amping..not so much for sound quality, but for tweakability. I have them bi-amped now with a Rotel amp. I have the tweeter channel turned down to about half what the woofer channel is running. The tweeter in the Studio CC was just a bit too much for me and having it on it's own channel is the best (and really the only) way to dial it in. I guess I've been spoiled by having Active 40's in the front smile

The only problem with my Rotel amp is that once I bridge it to get enough channels there's not enough power going to the rears. So rather than add a 2 channel either for the rears or for the center I want one single amp to cover it all. If only the Outlaw amps had level controls. Oh well.

#77440 - 05/19/06 07:11 PM Re: 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
Darth Tater Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Gonk, here's my theater room so you can see my equipment:

http://www.chuckamuck.com/hometheater

#77441 - 05/20/06 12:14 PM Re: 7700...level adjust & input bridging?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Nice setup, Darth. I'd suggest giving the 7500 a try - your room is reasonably sized (actually smaller than the room that my system is in), and I really don't think the Studio CC or Studio LCR's need more than 200W to reach their full potential.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts