Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75549 - 09/07/06 07:03 PM DVD-Audio or not?
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
OK, I realize that this might be a dumb question, but I still need to know. I hooked up my Denon 1930ci via the 5 channel analog connectors in order to listen to DVD-Audio.

The Denon's readout displays DVD, which leads me to think that the Denon is correctly reading the disc. However, I'm not sure what the readout of the 970 should say... or how to set it up to make sure that I'm not getting a Dolby mode.

TIA

#75550 - 09/07/06 07:27 PM Re: DVD-Audio or not?
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

OK, I think I'm making progress. I was trying to use another input other than the one labeled DVD for DVD-Audio. Things work fine, but where does that leave me for normal DVD-Video watching? Is it analog or nothing. I was using a toslink cable for my DVD-Video audio prior to this.

Thanks,

#75551 - 09/07/06 10:12 PM Re: DVD-Audio or not?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You can use both toslink and multichannel analog - in fact, that's exactly what I recommend. I believe that you can configure the DVD input to use a toslink audio input normally and use the "7.1D" button on the remote to toggle between digital and 7.1 analog with that input.

#75552 - 09/08/06 09:10 AM Re: DVD-Audio or not?
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks again Gonk, your suggestion worked. I also guess I didn't realize that when playing an SACD or DVD-A disc, you still had the choice of several processing modes.

I believe I'll be using Dolby PLII that is geared towards music. Although something doesn't seem right about that. Am I off base on that one. I guess I would think that a straight mode would be best.

#75553 - 09/08/06 09:25 AM Re: DVD-Audio or not?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
What position is the bass management switch on the rear panel set to? If it is bypass or LPF/HPF, then the signal is being kept in the analog domain all the way through and the 970 can't apply any surround processing. If it is set to digital, the 970 does convert the signal to digital. I remember there being some discussion a while back about whether surround processing could be applied, but I thought the final word at that time was that the 970 only applied bass management, time delay, and channel trim settings and skipped the rest of the DSP section. Either way, all that the processing will be doing with multichannel SACD and DVD-A is generating surround back channels from the surrounds.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts