Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75405 - 06/08/06 08:34 PM 970 DPLIIx and other questions
apodaca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
I have tried to contact outlaw for a few questions but they always seem to be busy robbing a bank or something illegal. At any rate, does anyone know if the 970 or any other Outlaw receiver/processor can overlay DPLIIx on the multichannel imputs?

They should offer this as software upgrade if not since there is no HDMI this is the only way to get 7.1 from HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I also enjoy multichannel SACD (most of my music listening is SACD) with PLIIx music decoding to 7.1 channels. I know Harman Kardon does this but I am looking to get separates and was just waiting for a true firmware fix. The 970 is very tempting especially due to the analog bass management.

#75406 - 06/08/06 10:03 PM Re: 970 DPLIIx and other questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I can answer that one. The 970, 1070, 990 and all of the other surround processors I'm aware of do not apply any surround processing to multichannel analog inputs.

#75407 - 07/10/06 04:47 AM Re: 970 DPLIIx and other questions
apodaca Offline
Gunslinger

I just received an Outlaw 970 + 7125 combo ( testing against a Sony 7100ES, and a Rotel RSX1056 + RB1070). Not only does the Outlaw allow PLIIx processing on the multichannel inputs, it also allows for tone controls as well - very very cool.

#75408 - 07/10/06 07:42 AM Re: 970 DPLIIx and other questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

The 970 allows PLIIx on multichannel analog in? Really... Now that is very interesting. smile I assume you've got the bass management switch on the rear panel set to "digital."

#75409 - 07/10/06 06:27 PM Re: 970 DPLIIx and other questions
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I assume you've got the bass management switch on the rear panel set to "digital."
Does that digitize the multi-channel analogue input, even just for bass management?

#75410 - 07/10/06 06:55 PM Re: 970 DPLIIx and other questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Well, I knew that setting it to "digital" applied an A/D to it so the quad crossover could be applied. I just didn't realize that it might also send the signal through the entire DSP section to allow for PLIIx - although it does make sense to do so. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this ability before.

#75411 - 07/11/06 01:41 AM Re: 970 DPLIIx and other questions
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I knew that setting it to "digital" applied an A/D to it...
After that, it's just another digitial signal for all intents and purposes. You should be able to apply all the processing you normally use on digital signals.

#75412 - 07/11/06 04:51 AM Re: 970 DPLIIx and other questions
apodaca Offline
Gunslinger

Yes set to digital. Its a good feature as well as the tone controls since even some SACDs can be a tad bright. Dont understand why they dont advertise it nor mention it in the manual as very few manufacturers offer this much flexibility. This 970+7125 combo is amazing and ALMOST perfect - The DVI over HDMI choice and the lack of a learning remote being the only two sins of omission. Outlaw not being mainstram should offer a learning remote as an upgrade option or for sale separately as their command codes are not available on generic universal remotes.

#75413 - 07/11/06 05:25 AM Re: 970 DPLIIx and other questions
apodaca Offline
Gunslinger

I almost forgot to ask....Regarding bass management, if I have mains set to large and all others to small, my only choice is LFE or L/R + Sub. If I interpret manual correctly, the first option redirects small speakers bass to L/R and the sub only gets LFE correct?

What about second choice (L/R +Sub)?

I hope that it set fronts to large and has the sub (not the fronts)play redirected bass from small speakers plus LFE.

#75414 - 07/11/06 07:49 AM Re: 970 DPLIIx and other questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

The best universal remotes I've used have been learning remotes (that's actually why I have the remote files link in my sig), but it would certainly be convenient for folks to order a more robust remote at the same time they order their processor. The DVI/HDMI issue is a tricky one for manufacturers - Outlaw's choice of DVI has strengths and weaknesses.

On the 990 (based on this chart ), the "LFE" setting actually gets the LFE track and the redirected bass from small speakers. The "L/R+Sub" setting gets the LFE track, redirected bass from the small speakers, and a copy of redirected bass from the mains (based on the crossover setting) while still sending the large mains a full range signal. I think that the 970 is doing the exact same thing, although it would be good to get confirmation from Outlaw or a 970 owner with some test tones.

My reasoning is that if the unit was set up to redirect the small speaker bass to the mains in "LFE" mode, the small speaker bass would either have to be steered differently in "L/R+Sub" mode or it would end up going through two crossovers (one at the small speakers and another at the large mains for the "L/R" signal being sent to the sub) - always sending the small speaker bass to the sub would simplify the signal path for the "L/R+Sub" mode. Plus, of course, the fact that it matches what the 990 does...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts