Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75431 - 07/02/06 12:23 AM Laser Disc AC-3 Output
hybridsol Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: East Coast
After looking around, many of you are much more hard core than I am... WOW

Anyway, I just got the 970 all fired up and running, connected my Poineer CLD-D604 via coaxial cable from the RF output, popped in a AC-3 disc (Aliens btw), and got no sound. It defaulted to "stereo".

I have an optical output on the LD as well, I just don't have a cable. Is that the way to get this to work?

Oh and this unit rock so far, but I was using a Adcom GTP-600 before (no DD or DTS)

Thanks!

#75432 - 07/02/06 08:15 AM Re: Laser Disc AC-3 Output
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The RF digital output of a LaserDisc player is not compatible with the SPDIF coaxial digital inputs of modern surround receivers. You have to use an RF demodulator in order to connect the LD's output to a receiver's coaxial digital input. Like LaserDisc players, RF demodulators are no longer made - you'd need to turn to eBay or Audiogon to track one down. I saw ads on eBay for three models (a Yamaha APD-1 , a Kenwood DEM-999D , and a Pioneer RFD-1 ), all of which were manufactured for use in Japan. There's also this page run by one of the eBay sellers, which I found here while looking for info on your player. As you can tell from the prices, these units don't come cheap. I'd suggest getting your manual out as far as the optical connection is concerned - the optical output may work with PCM content only, which would handle everything except AC-3 LD's. I tried to find a manual for that player, but all I found was a couple pictures and a support page with a link to the warranty...

#75433 - 07/02/06 09:33 PM Re: Laser Disc AC-3 Output
hybridsol Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: East Coast
Wow... Thanks for the refresher. I remebered hearing something about an RF de-modulator, I though it was in the LD player...

Now, if I could get some type of re-big-u-lator...

(sorry couldn't resist)

Thank you very much!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts