Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#75362 - 04/12/06 07:50 PM Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
dakulis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, Washington
Hi guys,

I'm looking for the quick answer as I didn't find it in the Outlaw manual or missed it.

I've got the 970 set up from my Denon 2200 Universal for coaxial on the DVD set-up for HT.

I assumed I could create another set-up using the CD setup that would allow me to use my analog 5.1 cables from the Denon for DVD-A and SACD but when I did that I get no sound at all.

Moreover, I don't get any analog options for surround choices. What am I missing here? HELP!

Thanks, Dave.

#75363 - 04/12/06 10:10 PM Re: Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Once you have the 5.1 analog connection made between the 2200 and the 970's 7.1 Direct input (left and right are the DVD input's left and right analog, while the others are in a group just a little ways above that) and you have selected the DVD input, you can select "7.1 Direct" on the remote (it may be labeled "7.1 D") to switch to the 7.1 analog input.

#75364 - 04/20/06 06:04 PM Re: Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
dakulis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk,

Sorry about the long delay but I didn't realize you had replied. I'll go home this evening and try your suggestion and report back. Thanks, Dave.

#75365 - 04/21/06 12:41 PM Re: Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
dakulis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk,

OK, I found the 7.1 in the DVD set-up and that changed it from digital to analog. BUT, I got no sound out of the front two speakers, just the center and the surround backs. I checked the connections on the Denon and the Outlaw 770 and they were connected to the appropriate spots.

Now what? Any thoughts? Thanks, Dave

#75366 - 04/21/06 02:20 PM Re: Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
gonk Offline
Desperado

If there's no sound from the left and right channels, the most likely problem is with the left and right analog connections from the Denon to the 970. Those connections should be from the left and right channels of the Denon's 5.1 analog output to the left and right channels of the DVD input (the ones at the bottom of the rear panel, below the DVD input's s-video connection).

Are you setting the 970's DVD input to always use the 7.1 direct input, or are you just toggling to the 7.1 direct input when you want to listen to DVD-A and SACD? If you are toggling, you may need to be on the DVD input before you try to toggle to that input. I would recommend setting the 970's DVD input to the digital input that you used (coaxial or optical) and use the "7.1" button (near the middle of the remote, bottom left corner of the navigation pad button area) to engage the 7.1 analog input when it's needed - after selecting the DVD input first (both so you have the desired video input active and because the 7.1 direct's left and right channels are associated with the DVD input).

#75367 - 04/21/06 07:07 PM Re: Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
dakulis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk,

What I did was go to the DVD set-up in menu. Moved from Coax 1, which is how my DVDs play and changed it to DVD 7.1 there and exited the menu.

Immediately, I got different sound that I was getting from the coax but I noticed something missing and moved over to both front speakers and found no sound. That's when I tried checking the connections.

I'll recheck the connections again and I'll try the DVD 7.1 input from the remote, although I find this remote not to be the most user friendly. If you don't remember exactly which device you're controlling it doesn't like to play along and sometimes, even when you do remember, it doesn't like to play along.

But, I'll give it another go. Thanks again, Dave.

#75368 - 04/24/06 05:57 PM Re: Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
dakulis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk,

Tried your suggestion. The connections are find. But, still no analog 5.1 from the fronts. This is weird.

I had great sound from my Denon 3803 in analog before making the switch. Everything else works perfectly and the sound is great coming from coaxial.

It's not like I listen to SACDs or DVD-As all the time because I have a separate 2 channel system but it's nice to have the sound coming out in analog instead of digital. The digital/coax sound on these just isn't as pleasing, it's a little too forward and fatiguing for my listening pleasure. LOL

Any other thoughts? This wouldn't have anything to do with the fix noted for "no audio" above this link, would it? I haven't looked into that problem since this worked right out of the box. Thanks, Dave.

#75369 - 04/24/06 06:07 PM Re: Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
gonk Offline
Desperado

No, this shouldn't have anything to do with the "no audio" issue. I'm a bit puzzled by this, actually. Hmmm...

#75370 - 05/15/06 04:04 PM Re: Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
dakulis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk,

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the RCA cables on both ends of the analog connections

I know it isn't the speaker connections because I've just recalibrated my HT with a new SBL and everything worked fine.

OK, I'm puzzled also. Anyone have any similar problems or found a solution? Thanks, Dave.

#75371 - 05/15/06 04:34 PM Re: Getting Analog on 970 from Denon 2200 Universal
gonk Offline
Desperado

Have you given Outlaw a call? They might be able to lend a hand.

Another test to try (since we're clearly at the point of tossing out any and all ideas for consideration): set the DVD input to analog audio (rather than the coaxial digital you would normally use) and see if you get any audio. Try it with the left/right pair from the 2200's 5.1 analog output, and if that doesn't work also try it with either the left/right stereo analog output (a downmixed output) using a regular DVD or a stereo source like a VCR or a portable MP3 player. That could help identify if there's a problem with those inputs on the 970 or if something happened to your Denon's left/right output.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts