Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75002 - 12/22/05 09:57 PM Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
Scott Offline
Desperado

For those who have expressed concern about an intermittent "white flash" when viewing component signals on a Model 1070 or Model 970, we are pleased to be able to provide a progress report at this time.

As soon as we received reports of this issue, we gathered additional information from those experiencing the problem and then assembled an action team both here and in Asia to isolate and identify the root cause of the problem. It took a few days for us to consistently reproduce the problem, due in large part to the many variables involved with different brands and types of video displays. Once that was done, we expanded the action team to include engineers from Texas Instruments, as they are the supplier for the key components in the video conversion circuitry. After two days of on-site consultation with R&D team in Taiwan the cause was found in a few software bugs. The software has since been modified, and both TI and our engineers have conducted approval tests. As a final step, the Outlaws have done their own validation testing.

We are pleased to tell you that the new software completely eliminates the "white flash" problem without disrupting any other part of the units’ operation. The updated software is now available for download. Simply click on this link to access the instructions and download.

As a bit of background, it is worth noting that today’s high performance preamplifier/processors and A/V receivers are, in many ways, small computers. While that enables them to deliver great performance and advanced features, it sometimes means that software glitches may occasionally pop up. While we have a rigorous production testing process and an extensive beta test program, differences in each user’s system components sometimes has the unfortunate by-product of masking an issue until after the product has shipped.

Fortunately, both of our current processors and our surround sound receiver are equipped with the ability to upgrade the internal software in the field for issues such as this. While bugs are unfortunate, this makes it easy to correct the software without returning the unit for service.

Outlaw considers the ability to upgrade a product’s software via RS-232 or USB connection as an absolute necessity. Whether you choose to purchase our products or those of any other company, we strongly believe that the ability to easily upgrade the on-board software should be a "mandatory" feature.

In closing, we would like to express our gratitude to Doug917 for his thoughtful and thorough evaluation and analysis. He discovered something that the Outlaws, our beta testers, and hundreds of other customers all missed. The reports from everyone who observed and reported the problem, along with the hard work of engineers on two continents were critical to our being able to quickly solve this issue.

We offer our thanks to everyone for their patience in giving us the time to address this glitch. With your help we are pleased to report a successful outcome to the problem.

#75003 - 12/22/05 10:31 PM Re: Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Excellent news, Scott! I'm glad to hear it was a software issue - and that you could get the software patched up so quickly. Have a good Christmas weekend (a Christmas without white, so to speak smile ).

#75004 - 12/22/05 11:35 PM Re: Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Scott,

Thank you (and the other Outlaws) for the speedy resolution to the video issues with the 970/1070. I have updated my 970 and Conclusion web pages in my review.

#75005 - 12/24/05 01:10 AM Re: Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
iardon Offline
Gunslinger

Scott,

Thanks for the update. It eliminated this bug (though others exist for my unit).

The upgrade went smoothly but didn't erase my former settings. Is that normal?
M&K 851 for L/C/R
Axiom QS8 for SL/SR/1SB
SVS Pb12-ISD/2 (x2)
Sony VPL-HW15 (Retired Infocus 7205)
Sony PS3 / Pioneer DV-533

#75006 - 12/24/05 04:01 AM Re: Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
Will Outlaw be installing this update for units that they still have in inventory so that they will ship with the new SW?
Or will ALL updates have to be installed by the user?

I was thinking about replacing my 950 with a 970 in a few months.
My ABIT Motherboard does not have a RS-232 (DB-9 or DB-25) port. Most newer MBs don't.
How then would I be able to instlal the update?
I'm not sure if there is a UBS-to-DB9 cable.

#75007 - 12/24/05 09:20 AM Re: Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
gonk Offline
Desperado

Outlaw has historically updated software for units still in their warehouse - I expect this case will be no different.

#75008 - 02/02/06 08:20 PM Re: Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
Randomcreek Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PA, USA
I don't think Outlaw is upgrading units being shipped. I just received my 970 on jan 28 (last Saturday) and they shipped it to me apparently without upgrading the software. I did not notice problem right because it does not occur with all material pushed out the component video outputs. Satillite signal is fine HD is fine. It flashes every minute or so when I'm watching Sinfeld DVD (4x3 mode on my TV- a Sony 40" 4x3 XBR. I don't seem to have any problem with 16x0 material on the same TV. So far anyway. What a bummer- now I have to buy a cable download the program when the problem was already known and problem supposedly solved prior to me ordering my unit. Not good gonk- I was going ahead with purchase based on your post ablve. having said that, from what I can see (except for this problem still shipping to customers) the video circuitry is excellent- no degradation at all. I'm pushing the HD satillite signal 40' across the room from the 970 outputs and the picture looks as good as when it was hooked up with a high-end 3' cable from under the TV. Now I have to go buy a computer cable ...

#75009 - 02/02/06 09:18 PM Re: Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Oh-oh, you're in trouble now Gonk laugh .

#75010 - 02/02/06 10:06 PM Re: Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
gonk Offline
Desperado

Woop... Sorry, randomcreek, I was basing my response on the 950 iterations - looks like I was wrong.

#75011 - 02/03/06 02:44 PM Re: Component Video White Flash: Problem Solved
Randomcreek Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PA, USA
Seems the problem in my case is with any non-progressive scan material I send out of the component video output. My player (Pioneer Elite DV45a) let's me switch back and forth from progressive to interlaced. The reasons why some people don't see the problem is that they are only sending progressive scan input through the component video.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM