Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75119 - 01/21/06 07:58 PM Max Distance To The Amp
John151 Offline
Gunslinger

I am consdiering switching to mono-block amps for my L&R channels. This will require that I move the amps to be behind the speakers as I don't have room for the amps in the rack. This would require a run of approx 40' between the 970 and the Amp, plus going thru a 2 channel pre amp with HT bypass.

Does anyone know if the 970 will have an issue sending a signal 40'?

#75120 - 01/21/06 10:53 PM Re: Max Distance To The Amp
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There should be no problem with that - unless you have a really improperly made cable, there shouldn't be enough resistance to affect the signal.

#75121 - 01/22/06 11:31 AM Re: Max Distance To The Amp
John151 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks.

I will most likely purchase from Bluejeanscable, which is Belden 1505F Coaxial Cable. The cables will be run in dedicated metal conduit, so interference should not be a problem either.

#75122 - 01/25/06 10:41 PM Re: Max Distance To The Amp
John Brisbin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by John151:
Does anyone know if the 970 will have an issue sending a signal 40'?
The length of the cable is less likely to be an issue than a ground loop-like hum.

Since you are talking about 40' away, it is likely that you will be powering the amps from a different household power circuit than the processor.

To the extent that the different circuits have different loads on them, you may encounter 60 Hz hum at your distant speakers.

You may be able to fix the hum with special ground loop isolation cables, but they are not cheap and not 100% transparent either.

You should check to see if both ends are powered by the same circuit breaker in the home panel. If they are controlled by the same breaker, you will probably not have this issue. If they are different, you might want to look into expanding your rack as a cheaper and more accurate solution.

#75123 - 02/02/06 08:38 PM Re: Max Distance To The Amp
Randomcreek Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PA, USA
I wouldn't use metal conduit. You should use plastic. If you use metal, then you need to ground it properly and may end up with ground loop hum, too- what a mess. Just use plastic conduit and you can avoid any potential problem. As far as cables you should a least buy something with silver-coated copper core (versus bare copper of the Belding) and perhaps more important a cable with a teflon dielectric material - that polyprop in the beldings may work okay for a long component video run, but for a long run of audio interconnect I'd go with at least a silvercoated fine standed copper core wire with teflon dielectric - and 95% copper (or tinned copper) shielding and teflon outer jacket.

#75124 - 02/02/06 08:39 PM Re: Max Distance To The Amp
Randomcreek Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PA, USA
I wouldn't use metal conduit. You should use plastic. If you use metal, then you need to ground it properly and may end up with ground loop hum, too- what a mess. Just use plastic conduit and you can avoid any potential problem. As far as cables you should a least buy something with silver-coated copper core (versus bare copper of the Belding) and perhaps more important a cable with a teflon dielectric material - that polyprop in the beldings may work okay for a long component video run, but for a long run of audio interconnect I'd go with at least a silvercoated fine standed copper core wire with teflon dielectric - and 95% copper (or tinned copper) shielding and teflon outer jacket.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts