Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75128 - 01/25/06 11:07 PM Prepurchase: Component Video Input Assignment
John Brisbin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
On page 25 of the 970 manual it says:
"If you are using a DVI connection from your DVD player, the Model 970 will default to DVI 1 when it detects a signal at that input. Note that the DVI 1 input is available only when you select DVD. It is “hard-wired” to that input, but is available only when a signal activates it.

The DVI 2 input is “hard-wired” to the Video 2 input. If you have a second DVI (HDMI) source, you should make the configuration adjustments for the device connected to DVI 2 in the Video 2 input."

The limited discussion of the component input does not indicate whether those inputs are assignable or not.

Since two of the component inputs are also labeled DVD and Video 2, non-assignable inputs would make Component switching and DVI switching mutually exclusive.

Tell me it is not so.

#75129 - 01/25/06 11:19 PM Re: Prepurchase: Component Video Input Assignment
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My understanding of the 970 and 1070 design is that the video inputs are all fixed to specific inputs (DVI 1 and 2 relating to DVD and Video 2, component inputs relating to DVD, Video 1, and Video 2). I guess the short answer would be "sorry, it is so."

#75130 - 01/26/06 01:49 PM Re: Prepurchase: Component Video Input Assignment
John Brisbin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

That is disappointing.

I can see that, because of the unique nature of the six input DVD input, it might be necessary to have DVD represented in both input groups in a fixed assignment setup.

It is much harder to justify Video 2 (which has no special features) being in both groups when using Video 3 for just one or the other would have allowed both DVI and component switching to be usable at the same time.

(By usable I mean each switch could have more than one unique and accessible input.)

Thanks for the information, in any case.

Another question to confirm that this is not the processor for me:

I notice that the serial port is only mentioned in the 970 manual in conjunction with the firmware update mechanism. In the 990, it is billed as capable of controlling the processor as well.

Is it accurate to say that the 970 does not support computer control via the serial port?

#75131 - 01/26/06 03:48 PM Re: Prepurchase: Component Video Input Assignment
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 970 does not appear to include control over RS-232. Since you mention the 990, I will point out that the 990 offers both serial port control and fully assignable DVI and component inputs (any DVI or component input can be associated with any video input).

#75132 - 01/26/06 05:52 PM Re: Prepurchase: Component Video Input Assignment
John Brisbin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks. That will do it for me.

The 970 looked like it was smaller, cheaper and had everything I needed and nothing I did not.

Too good to be true. The 990 still looks pretty good, though.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts