Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74736 - 04/23/08 04:37 PM NEW SMS
toddco Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eugene,Or.
I have my sms 1 all conected. Video,Audio and what not. If i press 321 to Auto EQ it will run a test tone 2 0r 3 times and will turn itself off and back on a few times and then goes to the original screan.No adjustments at all this should not happen right? I can manualy adjust. But it should auto EQ. Any help would be great. Thanks confused

#74737 - 04/23/08 06:19 PM Re: NEW SMS
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The SMS-1 has two distinct "auto EQ" modes. The first is Self-EQ mode, which can be done simply by connecting a sub to the unit, connecting the microphone, and pressing 3-2-1 on the remote. That mode should do 25 test tones, at which point it will apply adjustments to the either EQ channels. It will not do anything with the frequencies at which the EQ's are applied, sub levels, or anything else, and it will only involve the sub (the test tones are sent directly to the SMS-1's sub output, not to the outputs that run to your receiver).

The "Auto EQ" mode is similar to this, but sends the signals through the EQ outputs to the receiver, alowing the receiver to apply its bass management and do whatever other tasks it might do. (You'll want to be set to the SMS-1's input and have any surround processing disabled, so the stereo signal just goes to the mains and the sub.) As before, you'll also need the microphone connected, at which point you can press 1-2-3-4-5 to enter the setup menu. You'll probably want to adjust your volume while you're at it, but assuming that's taken care of you will simply highlighting the "EQ Mode" setting in the System Response screen and pressing "SELECT" to change from manual to automatic. This will do closer to 50 sweeps before ending, and will still not change the positions that the EQ channels are set to.

Hopefully that helped some. If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest downloading Outlaw's SMS-1 Guide (click here for the PDF). In addition to the notes on pages 14 and 15 regarding this, there is a lot of other good information in there.

#74738 - 06/15/08 03:14 PM Re: NEW SMS
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
What is the purpose of the 321 auto EQ? Do you need to do this before running the 12345 EQ? I think I remember doing this once a long time ago. Also, I don't understand running the output of the SMS-1 back to the receiver. That's not how mine is setup.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#74739 - 06/15/08 05:24 PM Re: NEW SMS
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
What is the purpose of the 321 auto EQ?
The "321" EQ mode is the most rudimentary automatic EQ mode that the SMS-1 offers, and it's not one that I'd recommend even bothering with. It sends signals straight to the sub, so it doesn't involve the receiver's bass management and doesn't allow for any adjustment of sub level relative to front channel level.
Quote:
Do you need to do this before running the 12345 EQ? I think I remember doing this once a long time ago.
You don't need to. The two auto EQ's are separate processes. The auto EQ that is available while in the main setup menu (the "12345" mode) sends tones through the receiver, but it still doesn't offer the level of adjustment afforded by the manual mode.
Quote:
Also, I don't understand running the output of the SMS-1 back to the receiver. That's not how mine is setup.
Here's the deal with running the SMS-1's output into the receiver. The SMS-1 generates a test tone, and the test tone has to be piped through the receiver. The receiver then feeds it through its internal bass management and divides it between the mains and the sub. This lets you equalize channel levels between mains and sub as well as adjust the subwoofer channel EQ's. Without the connection to the receiver, the only way to get a test tone to the sub is the Self EQ (the "321" automatic EQ system).

#74740 - 06/16/08 01:37 AM Re: NEW SMS
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Ah, the test tone output, forgot about that, thanks.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts