Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74402 - 02/23/06 06:08 PM SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

As an FYI: I've just updated my HT web site (long overdue with lots of new equipment). One item covered is my new SMS-1, purchased thanks to some kind advice given here.

Excellent device! My experience with the SMS-1 is detailed on my site. Let's just say it has earned its keep!

A link to my HT site is in my signature. In addition you can go directly to the SMS-1 section HERE if you want to cut to the chase. (If you have the time, check out my ordeal getting a working HP MD5880n 1080p display. Even Peter Tribeman shouldn't have to go through that!)

laugh

Enjoy!

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#74403 - 02/23/06 09:31 PM Re: SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Thanks for the update, RAF - your system continues to impress. It's a pretty cool honor to see my SMS-1 review linked in there, too. The TV story is some sort of frightening combination of my Best Buy TV delivery woes two yeras ago (they had sets in stock at a store five miles away from my house but I couldn't have one because I'd ordered from the web site), my kitchen renovation train wreck around the same time (ever seen what happens when an unshielded circular saw is set on a brand new vinyl floor before the saw quits spinning?), and a little extra seasoning to round things out.

#74404 - 02/24/06 11:13 AM Re: SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

You're welcome, gonk! I didn't realize how much CEDIA 2005 had "cost" me until I started updating my site. At least 10 new components! And thank you, once again, for allowing me to post your excellent summary and review of the SMS-1 on your pages.

What do you think of my SVS/M&K MX-350 experience with the SMS-1? I found it eye (ear?) opening and a great endorsement for the SMS-1.

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#74405 - 02/24/06 12:50 PM Re: SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I wasn't a bit surprised. It is reminiscent of my decision to adjust my crossover settings when I discovered a dip in room response that affected my mains. There was no way to EQ my mains, but by kicking the crossover up one notch I was able to pass the burden on to the sub and then EQ the dip out of existence. Same deal as you found - no ear I know is going to listen to a system and say "there's a dip at 56Hz that you need to fix" but the SMS-1 made it crystal clear.

#74406 - 02/25/06 01:31 PM Re: SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

Exactly, gonk and a great point! Our two experiences serve to show how valuable the SMS-1 can be to even those who don't "see" any problem with their current setups. Unless one is severely anal about it (no comments, peanut gallery wink ) one is not going to be able to cover all possible parameters within reason and the SMS-1 is great at pointing out things that are easily correctable "if only we knew...."

Just goes to show that there is always room for improvement in things HT.

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts