Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74389 - 01/22/06 11:09 AM Mike Placement RFC
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I am still learning how to use the SMS-1 and its been a lot of fun so far, I'm enjoying it. I found it interesting to just move the mic around the room and try to get an idea of what my room itself was doing. I had one problem where I had a nasty dip in the response at about 35Hz and I diligently adjusted the settings to try and compensate. When I was done, I had adjustment bars at the top and bottom of the scale, it didn't look pretty. During these adjustments I had placed the mic in the center of the room on the coffee table. I found through testing that I must have placed my mic in a room null, a spot in the room where the 30-40Hz waves were hitting each other and canceling each other out to some degree. If I moved the mic out of the null I found I wouldn't have to apply as much compensation to get a flatter response. This did not remove the problem and I still had to adjust the SMS-1 to help with the 35Hz dip, but I didn’t have to use extreme settings to do it. As long as no one was going to listen to my system by lying down on the coffee table I should be OK. I also noted that if I were to stick the mic under my down-firing sub I would get a perfectly flat response.

What is your mic placement strategy or technique that works for you?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#74390 - 01/22/06 11:48 AM Re: Mike Placement RFC
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I put the sub where I sit and just moved the mic all over the place to see where the best response may be. I also had to adjust way down on the low end to compensate for the boom boom.

#74391 - 01/22/06 11:55 AM Re: Mike Placement RFC
loopy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central Ma.
If I could put in my 2 cents, I put the mic on a tripod just about where i sit and equalized from there, seemed to work well, I also walked around the room with the mic to see what it would do,

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM