Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5747 - 01/21/05 05:53 PM diy sub
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
as i posted elsewhere,i recently smoked my monitor audio asw-210 sub amp.rated at 200w@4 ohms,2 10's paralleled(1 down,1 forward).
the drivers are kinda impressive,the amp and box are not.i can buy an amp from monitor that will drop right in with less power,or one with more power but cut up the rear to fit it.or buy an aftermarket amp(open to suggestions here) and fit it.i do have the sub powered right now with 100 watts per driver and it pounds like never before leading me to believe I WANT MORE POWER!

the question is with the box.it is 3/4 MDF all around with no braces at all.2 3" ports 'bout 9" long.a couple pieces of foam thrown in also.

now, i have to cut the box anyway and i plan on refinishing it(i know somebody that can lay down a killer black laquer on it cool ).would i be better off building a heavily braced 1" thick mdf,with the same internal volume?or do you think this sub was designed with cabinet resonance in mind?it does appear to be mass produced and i am not impressed.

box building is nothing new to me so that is not an issue,if it were up to me i'd build 2 boxes and run stereo subs,but there are no numbers or markings on the drivers(not even polarity,i checked that with a battery) so i can get no t/s measurements.(i really do like the gold colored subs)

that's my dilemma,build the balls-up cabinet or use the same one.
another issue is the b&w 601's for my mains,they don't go real low so they stay x-overed at 80hz.
i am on a VERY tight budget so i have to keep this reasonable.(MDF,glue,screws,woodworking tools,my labor are all free)

joe

#5748 - 01/24/05 08:35 PM Re: diy sub
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by painttoad:

i am on a VERY tight budget
painttoad:

First, I know what it’s like. I think everyone does.

I’m surprised that your asw-210 doesn’t have any internal bracing. If I were you, I’d build new box for both subs and put adequate bracing while keeping the same internal volume. 3/4" thick MDF should do fine if you brace it properly.

For aftermarket amps, look up http://www.acoustic-visions.com/ or http://www.partsexpress.com/

#5749 - 01/24/05 10:36 PM Re: diy sub
painttoad Offline
Desperado

tell you what,i'm thinkin' of doin' nothing to the box after this past weekend.i used my 100 wpc technics receiver with my teac eq to power each sub and this thing POUNDS like never before totally,totally killer.i'm sitting on the floor ckecking it out and from 8 FEET away how i describe the gusts of air from the ports?i need to get some real power behind this thing,i knew about parts express(they will not get a monitor amp back in there)so i'll check this other site in a minute.i had 16 hours over 2 days to beat the hell out of this thing to see if a driver caused the amp to fry so i think these drivers are good to go and it's functional till:
1.i fry the receiver.
2.i justify the cost of an amp

#5750 - 01/24/05 10:54 PM Re: diy sub
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Rythmik Audio 350-this has the power i'm thinkin' about,cheap enough,and will fit in the cutout with trimming, instead of trying to put a new rear panel if..this can be mounted sidesways,are sub amps designed to be mounted on their vertical or does it matter,car amps should not be mounted upside down for comparison to what i'm asking.

#5751 - 01/25/05 07:42 PM Re: diy sub
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

The heat sink fins should be oriented vertically for better air circulation. Heat rises.

#5752 - 01/25/05 08:16 PM Re: diy sub
painttoad Offline
Desperado

if that is the ONLY reason,i could deal with that with a little fan.i'll continue to look around,though.anyone else know anymore aftermarket manufacturers(i've checked MCM,also)

thanks spiker

#5753 - 02/25/05 10:26 PM Re: diy sub
painttoad Offline
Desperado

update:
i happenned in a local stereo shop and they had a marantz ma500 thx certified mono amp:180w@4 ohms ,i bought, it took it home, wired it up:WOW!
been pounding it on 2.1/5.1/dts for about 5 hours now, this sub is once again awesome!
think i'm gonna have to bust out the mdf and make a new rear panel with binding posts(wires are through the ports for now)
for $120 out the door i think i got yet another killer deal.

#5754 - 03/01/05 09:26 PM Re: diy sub
painttoad Offline
Desperado

i'm workin my new amp!
killer!
solid & pure!

#5755 - 03/02/05 08:42 PM Re: diy sub
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

So it’s a whole new sub except for the driver?

#5756 - 03/02/05 09:08 PM Re: diy sub
painttoad Offline
Desperado

it acts like a new sub,same cabinet.new rear panel with binding posts and 1 internal brace (side to side)
gonna try to get my buddy's pro spl meter over 1 day and see what it's hitting,factory claimed 115db(22 or 25hz,can't remember)all left to do is the paint job,think just for giggles i'll put a big gold MONITOR logo on the top,after all custom paint on vehicles is my gig!

i'd love to go up against a stock asw210,i think i'd crush it

btw.anyone think it's strange this $1000, 200 watt sub would only have 2 output devices in the amp or is this normal class d amp setup?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts