Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5351 - 06/08/03 10:29 PM Bi-Amp Squel
dzan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Saint Paul, MN USA
I am currently running a 5 speaker set up. so I was going to bi-amp my front speakers, to utilize my unused channels. But when I do that I get a squeal from the front speakers as the unit powers down. I am using PSB Image 5T's for my front speakers. any suggestions?

#5352 - 06/08/03 10:39 PM Re: Bi-Amp Squel
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Something is obviously wrong! That squeal has the potential to be a tweeter killer, so I would limit your experimentation. Check for solid connections on your interconnects. You might substitute some expendible speakers for your good ones while trying to nail down the problem. Try swapping amp channels to see if the problem travels with a particular channel of your amp, or if it travels with the output of your preamp. Be careful with those speakers though!

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited June 08, 2003).]

#5353 - 06/12/03 11:53 PM Re: Bi-Amp Squel
Larry Fine Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Richmond, Va, USA
Dzan, you did remove all speaker links, right?

------------------
Larry Fine
www.fineelectricco.com
My system

#5354 - 02/02/05 10:36 AM Re: Bi-Amp Squel
Shaster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Miami Florida, USA
When you say you are utilizeing the un-used channels, I assume that you are splitting the audio signal to feed to the seperate amp channels.
How are you splitting the signal??
You may need to use a buffering device.
Niles Audio, AVDA-3
Audio-Plex, Y-F2,Y-M2

#5355 - 02/02/05 03:08 PM Re: Bi-Amp Squel
Az Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta GA
Sounds like it might be feedback.

Considering there is little, if any, benefit from passive biamping, I think I would bag that idea and move on to something else.

#5356 - 02/02/05 07:51 PM Re: Bi-Amp Squel
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
Quote:
Originally posted by Az:
Sounds like it might be feedback.

Considering there is little, if any, benefit from passive biamping, I think I would bag that idea and move on to something else.
i disagree!!!BIG TIME!!

not on the possible feedback, i cannot comment since i don't know the situation,but the passive bi-amp i am doing it,loving it,and will do it until somebody shows me:2 amp channels with 4 drivers is better than 4 channels with 4 drivers!
(and nobody has shown me that yet,and i highly respect the forum leaders(GONK,SOUNDHOUND))
HERE WE GO AGAIN!

there are other posts on this.i would suggest research,research before you make a decision(research proper hook-up also)

#5357 - 02/06/05 02:23 PM Re: Bi-Amp Squel
R. Mackey Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: L.A.
Hi guys. First post. I've been running a 950/7100 through KEF speakers for nearly two years, very happy with it. Lots of good information to be found here.

I think I know what the original poster is talking about. Some time ago I rewired the crossovers in my mains (KEF Q-30s) to support passive or active bi-amping, with a switch to bypass the passive crossover. Haven't gotten around to the active crossover yet, but for the moment I have it passively bi-amped using the two spare channels of the 7100.

I hear it too. When the amp is turned on, everything works as it should. But after shutdown, about twelve seconds after, there's a faint tone through the tweeters. It's a descending sine wave that starts somewhere in the 1 KHz range, and ends about four seconds later and two octaves lower. It's quite repeatable. The only variation is that if I only have the amp on for a few seconds before I turn it off again, the tone starts lower and doesn't last as long.

Because it's a low voltage, controlled waveform and the passive XO is still there to protect the tweets from direct current, I'm almost positive it isn't hurting anything -- it's just weird.

I've seen a couple of other posters note this behavior in the last two years, but no real explanation. My best guess is that the amp is somehow discarging itself differently after being turned off, now that it has a purely capacitively coupled load?

Oh, and I noticed very little difference between normal and passive bi-amp. If I play a track in mono with one speaker normal, the other passively bi-amped, I can barely hear an improvement in the low- and mid-bass. Probably similar to how a bigger amplifier would sound. If you're concerned, I'd say just go back to single-amp and you won't lose much.

Thanks, all.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts