Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5398 - 07/06/03 11:40 PM New Projectors?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
About this time next year I'll be selling my Pioneer SD-533HD5 to a friend and I am thinking about taking the leap into the world of front projectors.

For one thing, they seem to be advancing very well, and their prices are dropping a little too. For another, it'll be a hell of a lot easier to move around then the Pioneer Elite I want

I just read about the New Runco line that has the DLP2 chips and wondered if anyone in here has any current DLP projectors. If so, how do you like them? Pros and cons?

Also, when the time comes, which is still a ways off, I'll need opinions as far as what screen to get and so on. I know I'll be bothering Soundhound as always, but I'm always open to others advice and opinions. Thanks!

*Note* I have read so many damn reviews on projector differences, as far as "DLP versus CRT" goes..but I still cannot decide which will suit me more. Some light being shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

*UPDATE* I just read that DLP's are limited to a single resolution..very interesting. Sounds like CRT is much much more versatile at this point.
------------------
Play it LoUd!!

[This message has been edited by SpOoNmAn (edited July 07, 2003).]

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#5399 - 07/08/03 11:28 AM Re: New Projectors?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I might be directing you to the enemy here, but you may want to post that question on avsforum.com. They have a decent little board that's all about projectors and the like.

I've been doing my own little research into projectors since I've seen their prices drop under the 2 grand range. I really love the screen size, of course, plus the overall portability as I currently live in a rented apartment. The major differences I've seen between the technologies has been the "screen door effect" with LCD, the "rainbow effect" with DLP, and the "Oh my God that's expensive" effect with CRT. Basically, it comes down to what trade off you wanna make with the current technology and your price range. IMHO, once you reach about 4 grand in price, it's more worthwile to be looking for a plasma screen.

If you do find any good tidbits about the newer DLP projectors, please do post.

#5400 - 07/08/03 01:00 PM Re: New Projectors?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
If you have not already run into these, "RAF" an administer over at HTF ‘won’ a Runco projector with the new mustang chip during last years first annual HTF/AVS cruise. He just installed it recently, here are his thoughts:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146915&highlight=r unco

Some other tidbits:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/...tby=&sortorder=

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147503&highlight=r unco

If you go into HTF into subtopic “Displays”, then do a search using RUNCO, you will get some other hits, some specificly regarding DPL FP's. (edit: I always type that one too fast. DLP DLP (there)
I thought of RAF because I was watching to see when he installed his new unit. I would however second the recommendation for AVS for video information. HTF posts heavier on the audio side of HT.
RAF did not purchase his but won it, keep this in mind when weighting reviews posted by purchasers

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited July 08, 2003).]

#5401 - 07/08/03 01:30 PM Re: New Projectors?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Lena! I just skimmed thru Raf's review and I am sold. When he said the picture is every bit as good as his Pioneer Elite RPTV, I got goosebumps! It doesnt take much to please me

I'm an Elite fan as well and those words are strong ones.

Thanks for the advice Jason..headed there now!

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

#5402 - 07/08/03 05:29 PM Re: New Projectors?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
IMHO, once you reach about 4 grand in price, it's more worthwile to be looking for a plasma screen.

Jason,

I don't agree. I think plasma sets offer terrible value for the dollar. They're very expensive for their sizes, the picture -- while bright -- usually has a lot of motion artifacts, and they trouble with black levels. In addition, the technology is fundamentally very inexpensive: the high price comes from the manufacturers trying to recouple R&D dollars from early adopters.

However, plasma is getting better every year, and the price is dropping. At some point it may be a worthwhile purchase, but for now, I only recommend plasma to people to whom money is no object and space is a premium. For instance, a HT-config customer of mine has an apartment in NYC where real estate is brutal. He has extremely high-quality gear, but space is tight even for him: in his case, plasma makes perfect sense and it works very well for him.

Jeff

#5403 - 07/08/03 07:14 PM Re: New Projectors?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

I agree with D'Arbignal 100%. The picture quality for the prices asked is outrageous. They all have obvious artifact problems..and as D'Arbignal mentioned...the blacks are nowhere near what they should be.

If a plasma set was 2 grand and under, it would be cool to slap on the wall and do some XBox gaming on it..but other then that, I wouldnt use it for Home Theatre use.

Even the multiple Pioneer Elite sets Ive seen in the past going for $15,000.00 had problems...and at that price, I expect perfection.

They need to either drop the prices by 30 to 40% on current models...OR.. improve on their picture quality and hope people notice the difference and decide it's worth the $$. Just my opinion..

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

#5404 - 07/08/03 08:29 PM Re: New Projectors?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Of course, I don't know how much of the motion artifacts are due to the internal line doublers and how much is due to the display itself. Presumably, a good progressive scan DVD player or external line doubler would take care of the former, whereas nothing will fix the latter.

The problem is that I'm not going to spend $4,000+ to find out.

Jeff

#5405 - 07/09/03 04:00 AM Re: New Projectors?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

I still have no idea of what I want. If I were to want one now, I'd cry from confusion. Im more interested in keeping the Audio part intact...and there are so many choices when it comes to center channel placement and such. Do I want a wall mounted screen...do I want a hanging one that comes a few feet out into the room..yada yada...it never ends!!!
I wish I wouldnt have looked at all those sites..I need to take a break from all this projector talk for a while.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

#5406 - 07/09/03 10:13 AM Re: New Projectors?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I guess I should've said that you end up with more decisions depending on how high in price you're willing to go. Jeff, I do agree that plasma technology is improving, sort of like projector technology, so waiting to see the "next big step" is probably a good thing.

I live in one of those NYC apartments so plasma does become an option for me. If you have a larger, dedicated home theater space, hovever, projectors are definitely the only way to go. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my first post.

#5407 - 07/09/03 02:31 PM Re: New Projectors?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
I guess I should've said that you end up with more decisions depending on how high in price you're willing to go. Jeff, I do agree that plasma technology is improving, sort of like projector technology, so waiting to see the "next big step" is probably a good thing.

I live in one of those NYC apartments so plasma does become an option for me. If you have a larger, dedicated home theater space, hovever, projectors are definitely the only way to go. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my first post.

So it seems like we're in violent agreement.

Yes, if space is a premium then Plasma or LCD is definitely the way to go, and front projectors are definitely not an option. And since the quality of plasma is increasing and the prices are decreasing, it's only a matter of time before plasma really takes off.

I might actually be interested in a plasma set in my apartment (it's larger than the typical NYC apartment, but it still ain't huge) but I'd still have the problem of an enormous Middle Atlantic rack next to it, so much of the space-saving benefits of plasma would be lost.

I really need to get a house. It's scary, but right now I'm looking at a house as a really expensive home theater upgrade.

Jeff

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts