Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#6723 - 02/25/08 05:58 PM Stere Hum (noise)
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Hey all!

I've had a stereo hum problem for some time and originally resolved it by buying a grounding filter for my cable line. The problem with the filter is that it severely reduces the picture quality and it kills digital signals.

I've tried various solutions with no success. My home theatre system is on its own circuit and I'm using a Panamax surge protection.

Anyway, the noise occurs when I plug in the cable line or antenna for my external antenna. They're both grounded outside, but I still get the ground loop.

One of the solutions I'm contemplating is connection a dual port ground block and grounding it to my panamax ground lug. I am under the impression that this will keep everything on the same ground. Am I smoking crack or does anyone thing this may help solve the problem. One of the reasons I'm holding off is that it'll be a bit of a process getting behind the system etc.

Here's a link to the grounding block: http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_tool.php?id=638&parent_id=316

Panamax - http://www.panamax.com/PDF/Manuals/INS4400_20A_A.pdf

So this I guess is my last resort. Right now I either have a really annoying audio hum or a crappy picture. I try to minimize the number of breaks in my cable and antenna runs.

-Peter

#6724 - 02/25/08 06:21 PM Re: Stere Hum (noise)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
have you tried the Jensen filter? I've heard that it does not generally hurt analog picture quality or digital signal strength, something that can often be a problem with such filters.

#6725 - 02/25/08 06:37 PM Re: Stere Hum (noise)
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Gonk,

Thanks for you super quick reply. I just tried the grounding block with the grounding wire hooked up to the panamax surge suppressor with both the Cable and OTA Antenna and it worked. There's absolutely no audio hum. Not only that, but the picture is even clearer than before. One good thing is it eliminated the noise entirely. The filter I had used before mostly reduce the noise, but not entirely. Pretty stoked right now.

I've searched the web for a while and haven't seen this answer. I have seen the suggestion of the Jensen filter on the avforum, but ti's expensive - something like $60.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts