Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5787 - 03/02/05 11:36 AM acoustic ballast
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
has anybody heard of these,i have a pair weighting down a pair of speaker stands,they are basically bags of what i assume to be lead shot,i wouldn't mind having another pair for a lighter pair of wood stands when i put them back in service but cannot find them on the internet

p.s. came with my system and don't know where they wer purchased.

#5788 - 03/02/05 12:07 PM Re: acoustic ballast
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm not real familiar with this. A lot of speaker stands will allow you to fill the body of the stands with ballast (typically sand, since it's usually cheaper and easier to get than lead shot). If the stand doesn't allow for that, I'm not sure what you would end up doing. My father-in-law does set weights on top of his speakers (in his case they are tower speakers, and he uses a matching pair of painted concrete blocks that he found somewhere) - you could put some weight of some sort on the base plate of the stand or on top of the speaker to see what that does for you.

#5789 - 03/02/05 12:32 PM Re: acoustic ballast
painttoad Offline
Desperado

i'm sure when it comes down to it i will figure something out but just for info:the tag says"ACOUSTIC BALLAST tm patent pending"

another stereo buddy had never seen or heard of these but i know back in the 80's seeing stuff like this in the back of AUDIO or STEREO REVIEW

i think it's one of those "designer" things,conversation thing too

another stand i have is lead filled,but no spikes so i use for surrounds,i kinda need the spikes to compensate for uneven basement floor 4 the mains(funny i use 601's for mains,should be 604's,but at least i have a goal 4 future upgrade)(then more powerful amps....it'll never end)(nor do i want it to!)

#5790 - 03/02/05 02:06 PM Re: acoustic ballast
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
A properly designed and built speaker cabinet will be inert enough without the help of external weights or damping material. Filling stands with lead shot mixed with sand will damp out resonances in the stand it'self and may add some stability.

#5791 - 03/02/05 03:13 PM Re: acoustic ballast
painttoad Offline
Desperado

ok soundhound, i understand that but these are small infinitys and WOODEN stands that will come outside to the deck for partys and there is always the chance they will be bumped,the bags will wedge between the "pillars" of the stand and not go anywhere when moving.i can figure out some sort of weight but kinda wanted to see if i could score another pair of these.

#5792 - 03/02/05 10:41 PM Re: acoustic ballast
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Have you tried Home Depot? Not to be silly, but wouldn't a bag of lead shot or just a sandbag do just about the same thing you're talking about?

Just a thought...

#5793 - 03/03/05 06:57 AM Re: acoustic ballast
painttoad Offline
Desperado

that's a thought,although now i think i'm getting obsessed.i own these things but can't find any info and nobody knows they exist,just like what i went through with my b& k amp(took me 6 months to find out it was 60x6 with 14 amps peak to peak,that's the only info b & k had & they made it) that's what i get for buying used i guess!but then i had 4 months to demo everything and another 4 to pay for it,should i complain?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts