Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#5632 - 10/09/04 12:40 PM Directional vs Non-Directional
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
I've been wonder about the following:

It is typically said that bass tends to be non-directional (by that I mean around 60Hz to 20Hz-something a subwoofer would do). Is it true to say that the higher the frequencies the more "directional" they are? Would this have anything to do with how large a soundstage seems to be when listening to music/movies? Also, is this why some people recommend that mains be "toed-in" towards the listener?

Thanks,
Nert

#5633 - 10/09/04 09:30 PM Re: Directional vs Non-Directional
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Bass directionality has to do with the wavelengths involved verses the room dimentions and the spacing between your ears. Soundstaging has nothing to do with it.

Towed in speaker placement is dependent on the design of the speaker: some speakers perform best (have flattest response) towed-in and some do not. The manufacturer's recommendations are the best source of information for your particular speaker.

#5634 - 10/09/04 10:06 PM Re: Directional vs Non-Directional
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you for your help, soundhound. Obviously I have lots of empty space between my ears

There is truly a whole world of audio and audio physics that I just am clueless. I'm hoping to get better at it, since it seems to be the only "hobby" I currently enjoy. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question, regardless of how stupid it may seem.

#5635 - 11/21/04 07:42 PM Re: Directional vs Non-Directional
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
the only stupid question is one not asked!

that is the only way we learn(without breaking something)

#5636 - 11/21/04 08:47 PM Re: Directional vs Non-Directional
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you, painttoad smile

I am begining to think that higher frequencies are more directional (because of the shorter wavelengths).

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts