Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#72133 - 06/27/06 10:19 PM brickwall vs panamax
titleist Offline
Gunslinger

I have outlaw 1070, hdtv, dvd player, vcr, cd player, phono, etc..I wanted something to protect my small investment. I'm down to these 2 choices. Any suggestions. I do have coaxial connection to my satellite/tivo receiver if that matters, Any help narrowing it down would be great.

#72134 - 06/27/06 10:58 PM Re: brickwall vs panamax
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've got a Panamax MAX5100 that I've used for a number of years now and have been quite happy with. It includes support for my cable connection, which is a nice touch. The Brick Wall units actually appeal to me somewhat more, though, and I've seriously considered replacing or supplementing my Panamax with a Brick Wall (the 5100's old enough now that the MOV's have probably degraded).

If you get a Panamax, be sure to buy from a certified dealer to make sure it comes with the manufacturer's warranty - otherwise, they won't pay to replace equipment that gets damaged while protected by the 5100 if something unfortunate were to happen.

#72135 - 06/28/06 01:17 AM Re: brickwall vs panamax
stickpony Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The Brick Wall units actually appeal to me somewhat more, though, and I've seriously considered replacing or supplementing my Panamax with a Brick Wall (the 5100's old enough now that the MOV's have probably degraded).
Can you elborate a bit on this, gonk?

Given that the 5100 is warranted forever against electrical damage, and Panamax would replace any equipment damaged as a result of its failure, what's the appeal of the Brick Wall for you?

#72136 - 06/28/06 07:49 AM Re: brickwall vs panamax
gonk Offline
Desperado

The appeal is that I don't want to have to collect on the warranty. MOV's deteriorate a bit each time they take a hit, until eventually they can't provide the protection that they were originally rated for. Brick Wall's approach doesn't use MOV's and has no "sacrificial" parts.

#72137 - 06/28/06 07:21 PM Re: brickwall vs panamax
titleist Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, am I better off with the Panamax considering I have 2 coaxial inputs into my Direct TV receiver or if there is a hit will the coaxial cables transfer the hit to all the components they direct tv receiver is attached to. I would rather go with Brick wall seeing it cost 100.00 less

#72138 - 06/28/06 10:00 PM Re: brickwall vs panamax
gonk Offline
Desperado

I think either is a reasonable choice. If the Panamax's coax protection is a benefit, that may be the way to go.

#72139 - 06/29/06 01:26 PM Re: brickwall vs panamax
stickpony Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle, WA
I recently had to confront the whole MOV vs. non-MOV based surge surge supression issue and decided that, for me, other factors were more important.

I'm comfortable assuming the small amount of risk associated with an MOV based product in exchange for what I percieve to be more tangible benefits for A/V systems like coax protection and 12v triggers. So I picked up last year's Panamax 5100 model on closeout a few weeks ago. You might still be able find them for sale. Like gonk said, just be sure to go through an authorized dealer.

On the other hand, if I was running life support equipment, I'd definitely have it plugged into a non-MOV product like the Brick Wall. But home theater is not a matter of life and death... at least for me. wink

#72140 - 06/29/06 02:13 PM Re: brickwall vs panamax
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Quote:
But home theater is not a matter of life and death... at least for me. wink [/QB]
I think I'm going to faint....

smile

#72141 - 06/29/06 02:45 PM Re: brickwall vs panamax
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
While I understand that some folks want a unit that both does the job and survives the job, I prefer the performance guarantee (and I don't think brick wall pays for connected equip?). I had my first Panamax for 7 years before it blocked a spike and started shutting down every few minutes. Panamax offered me any new components I wanted at 40% retail, which have been working fine in the 4 years since.

I think you'll find, unless you have serious electrical liabilities in your area, that the Panamax will serve you just fine.

#72142 - 06/30/06 02:31 AM Re: brickwall vs panamax
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I would have to go with panmax myself and have. I love their warranties. You just simply cannot beat it.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts