Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71964 - 04/13/06 06:02 PM OSD question
Dave Gross Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle
ok..after MUCH experimentation, and really needing to add the Harmony Remote to the system so the wife doesn't staple 4 remotes to my head..I've come up with this:

HDMI out of DVD and Cable box DIRECTLY to the TV.
Digital Audio out of both units to the 1070 (DVD input and Input 2).

then..I tried component out of both units tothe 1070 as well, and Component out of 1070 to TV ( which will stay connected for future XBOX 360)..and, what I'd hoped would be for OSD display.

HOWEVER...that didn't work. I could get OSD to show up when I first hit the 'menu' button, but as soon as I tried to configure it, it would switch to the actual Component Input signal, depending on what I was trying to adjust, and the OSD would go away.

the only solution I found was to NOT have component from the DVD/Cable boxes plugged in, but TO have S-Video from those units plugged in.

WHY? shouldn't the OSD have stayed on with the component setup?

Now..I'm planning on watching the HDMI signals directly via the inputs on the TV (and, I was able to complete the setup/configuration process in the manual)...But, now, if I want to tweak anything, I just have to switch the TV input to the SVID input, and the 1070 OSD appears.

yes..I did try the HDMI to DVI from the boxes to the 1070, and it worked just fine (obviously no OSD), and..depending on the Harmony setup, might go back to that.

of course..I'm open to any suggestions wink

and..are there any plans to have the OSD show up on the DVI outs???

#71965 - 04/13/06 06:14 PM Re: OSD question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
To get the OSD over component video with the 1070 (and 970), first select an input that is configured for s-video or composite video. This will allow the 1070 to generate the OSD data before the transcoding to component video. This achieves the same thing as using the s-video output of the 1070 to your TV, but without requiring the addition of an s-video cable from the 1070 to the TV (you can use the component cable that you are planning to have there anyway for the Xbox360).

OSD via DVI would be a costly hardware add to any of Outlaw's current products. I suspect that by the time the next generation of Outlaw processors appears in a few years, clean transcoding analog video to DVI will be within reach of the Outlaw price point, but for now we're going to have to stick with analog video connections for OSD.

#71966 - 04/14/06 09:24 AM Re: OSD question
Dave Gross Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle
thanks.. I'll give that a shot today. I'd love to NOT have S-VID cables from my DVD/PVR if I don't have to have them.

I may go back to the HDMI/DVI setup to cut the cable clutter as well..but that's another story smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM