Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#72901 - 04/14/07 04:45 AM PC sound card SPDIF into the 1070
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
Hey all,

I hooked my M-audio sound card via a 35 ft. Accell diagital coax cable to the 1070. I had to send my Denon DVD-3930ci out for service as the 2nd laser is bad. Denon is taking way too long to return the unit so I am now using the music on my PC to listen to. The sound quality is pretty good IMHO. The output level is a little low so I have to turn the volume up some.

I am using Winamp with the DFX DSP on top. I raise the dynamics and bass to level 2 and that helps the ouput.

Does anyone else here use their computer as a front end source? I want to know what you think and how to get the best sound.

Liz
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#72902 - 04/14/07 04:12 PM Re: PC sound card SPDIF into the 1070
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
hi Liz,
call me lazy... laugh
but 42Gb of accessible tunes is just great !!!
I use my 7.1 ready PC to store and play most (if not all my music)
I extract compact discs as WAV files using Windows Media Player version 11.
I'm also transferring old tapes and Lp's
using Nero Wave editor and saving them as MP3's

output is dealt with a 6 ft. optical
to my 1070
DVI for video

input is analog (stereo)via tape out on the 1070
S-video for video(I still don't know why ??? laugh )

For music playback...WMP does all the work...exept for the few AAC files I have which are dealt with using Nero ShowTime...

SQ IMHO...is very comparable to my Pioneer DVD player...or my previous Yamaha cd player...

Output does vary with some files...
as it does with different cd's or recordings...
but that's why we have remotes.... wink
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#72903 - 04/15/07 10:29 PM Re: PC sound card SPDIF into the 1070
JHoff80 Offline
Gunslinger

For music, I use Winamp by itself, without any DSPs or anything like that, just the pure 2-channel PCM.

However, for my ripped DVD-Audio discs (I won't even go into how much of a pain those were to rip), I have no choice but to use my PC to reencode them into Dolby Digital (I'm hanging onto my aging Soundstorm motherboard.)

I also play all of my DVDs (whether they're ripped to the hard drives yet or not) on the PC. I recently switched to Vista's Media Center as a frontend, though I generally just use MediaPlayerClassic for video files.

I really love it, its gotten rid of a large pile of wires that I had behind my receiver, namely the CD changer and DVD player. However, it's still not perfect in that if I want the true audio from DVD-A or ever move to HD-DVD/ Bluray, I'll have to either reencode the sound or start using the very inferior DACs in my onboard sound.

This is the only reason I ever will care about HDMI, if I can pass through a 7.1 channel PCM signal digitally to a receiver, then it'd be a godsend (with all format decoding done in software). Its rumored that the upcoming R600 videocards from AMD/ATI will have audio capabilities, hopefully that'll be what I'm looking for.

As for my output, the digital PCM output seems to be louder at the same volume than when I used a CD player (and is also louder than my Xbox and Wii sources).

#72904 - 04/15/07 10:41 PM Re: PC sound card SPDIF into the 1070
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Hey All,

I just had a GREAT jamming time to Led Zeppelin using my PC to the 1070. I have the Days Confused 1975 Dallas, Texas Bootleg and also the boot of the 1970 show at the Royal Albert Hall in London (1970) which have been around a long time and was placed on the released DVD 2 discs.

Both of these of awesome SBD's and I have them as FLAC files. Using winamp alone , the output is too low. The DSP DFX 8.0 allows me to use dsp withoput sounding too digital. I raise fidelity to One, and both Dynamic Boost and Hyperbass to two.

My Denon 3930Ci is a top level Player and I am still waiting for it to be returned from repair.

I find myself listening to classical music with the Denon and the depth is so lovely to enjoy.

Using my PC I an nutty about Led Zep. I feel I can reach out and touch Bonzo. The HSU VTF-2 MK2 sub really shines here. The bass on Dazed and Confused through the sub sound likes bass and not the excess boom.

My M-Audio Revolution 7.1 really is a great card and it almost 3 years old. The newest Auzentech X-Meridian will beat it hand down and I will use that for my next PC.

Next up is my HDTV. I am leaning toward the new Sony KDS55A2020 LCOS unit. This can really shine and not cost so much compared to LCD and Plasma.

I will be at the HE show in NYC next moth. I can't wait ot meet the Outlaws: Scott, Steve and the President, Peter.

Rock on Outlaw Audio!
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#72905 - 05/15/07 08:27 PM Re: PC sound card SPDIF into the 1070
fucema Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Herndon, VA
I have a KDS55A2020, and it is an awesome value with great picture quality.

It is HDMI (no dvi) so you'll need to get a converter cable, unless you're like me and prefer to route hi-def video straight from the source to the monitor (oppo dvd player to sony lcos via hdmi).

I think if I get a blu-ray or hd-dvd player, i will route that straight to the lcos, and divert the oppo through the 1070.

#72906 - 05/16/07 04:38 PM Re: PC sound card SPDIF into the 1070
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Hi Fucema,

I have the same HDTV as you. What are you picture settings ? I want to get the best picture and adjust settings so please let me know.
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM